Pope's Address to Legionaries of Christ and Regnum Christi
"Cultivate a Constant Intimacy With Christ"
VATICAN CITY, DEC. 1, 2004 (Zenit) - Here is a translation of the address John Paul II gave today when he received the Legionaries of Christ and members of the Regnum Christi Movement in audience, on the occasion of the 60th anniversary of the priestly ordination of their founder, Father Marcial Maciel.
* * *
Dear Brothers and Sisters!
1. I am happy to meet with all of you, in the climate of joy and gratitude to the Lord for the 60th anniversary of the priestly ordination of Father Marcial Maciel Degollado, founder and superior general of your young and meritorious religious family.
First of all, I express my affectionate greeting to dear Father Maciel, together with my most cordial wishes for a priestly ministry filled with gifts of the Holy Spirit. I greet the superiors of the institute, in particular the vicar general, whom I thank for the words he addressed to me on behalf of all. I also greet you, dear priests and seminarians of the Legionaries of Christ, the dear members of the Regnum Christi Movement, and all those who have participated in the jubilee celebrations of these days.
2. The happy anniversary that gathers all of you around the founder, in addition to inviting you to recall the gifts that he has received from the Lord in these 60 years of priestly ministry, constitutes at the same time the occasion to confirm the commitments that, as Legionaries of Christ, you assumed at the service of the Gospel. In particular, when meeting today with the Successor of Peter, you wish to renew the commitment of your total fidelity to the Church and to him whom Providence willed to be its Pastor.
In this significant meeting, I am pleased to repeat to you all that I said at the end of the Great Jubilee of the Year 2000: "There is a need today more than ever for a confident proclamation of the Gospel which, casting aside all crippling fears, announces with intellectual depth and with courage the truth about God, about man, and about the world" (Address to the Legionaries of Christ and to the members of the Regnum Christi Movement, No. 4, in L'Osservatore Romano, Jan. 5, 2001, p. 5).
3. To fulfill this exacting mission, it is indispensable to cultivate a constant intimacy with Christ, seeking to follow and imitate him with docility. In this way, you will always be ready to respond to the most authentic and profound expectations of the men and women of our time.
May the Year of the Eucharist, which began in October, be for you a propitious occasion to grow in Eucharistic love, source and summit of the whole Christian life. This supreme mystery is Christ's gift par excellence to the Church, for it is "the gift of himself, of his person in his sacred humanity, as well as the gift of his saving work" ("Ecclesia de Eucharistia," No. 11).
4. Remain united around the Eucharist! Faithful to the charism that distinguishes you, continue your evangelizing mission nourishing yourselves of Christ and making yourselves his intrepid witnesses.
May your holy protectors accompany you; above all, may Mary Most Holy, Our Lady Help of Christians, be your guide and support.
With these sentiments and wishes, I impart from my heart to dear Father Maciel and to all of you here present a special apostolic blessing, which I am pleased to extend to members of your religious family and to all those you meet in your daily apostolate.
http://www.catholic.org , VA
Pope John Paul II - Bishop of Rome, 661 869-1000
Pope, Legionaries, Christ, Regnum Christi, Maciel, Priest
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- ISIS deploys child soldiers to keep Christians from returning to Mosul
- Adorable girl captured stealing Pope Francis' hat in hilarious ...
- Pope Francis defends millennials, but warns them about too much ...
- St. Toribio Alfonso de Mogrovejo: Saint of the Day for Thursday, ...
- Daily Reading for Friday, March 24th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Thursday, March 23, 2017
- 'Living Lent': Thursday of the Third Week of Lent - Day 23
- Supreme court nominee faces tough questions on religious freedom during confirmation hearings HD
- Christ's tomb reveals surprise after restoration HD
- Peruvian woman miraculously survives deadly mudslide HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, March 23rd, 2017 HD
The Encyclical Letter of the Holy Father Francis
The Encyclical Letter of the Holy Father Francis - Laudato ... @ $0.00
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.