Pope's Letter to Bartholomew I at Return of Relics
"A Blessed Opportunity to Reinforce Our Path of Reconciliation"
VATICAN CITY, NOV. 29, 2004 (Zenit) - Here is a translation of the letter John Paul II addressed to Orthodox Patriarch , on the occasion of the return the relics of Sts. Gregory Nazianzen and John Chrysostom during an ecumenical celebration Saturday in St. Peter's Basilica.
* * *
To the Beloved Brother Bartholomew I, Patriarch of Constantinople:
1. Very vivid in my heart is the joy of our meeting in the atrium of this Vatican basilica on June 29 of this year, on the occasion of the feast of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul. And now the Lord, in his benevolence, again gives us the possibility to live here, before the tomb of the Apostle Peter, another fraternal meeting in love, in prayer, and in the determination to walk together toward that full and visible unity that Christ wills for his disciples.
This opportunity is offered to us by our common veneration of the relics of Sts. Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom, two Fathers of the Church of the East, two holy patriarchs of Constantinople, two Doctors of the Church who, together with St. Basil the Great, have always been honored with a feast in the Catholic Church. And we, every time that "we meet with these our Fathers, we are confirmed in the faith and encouraged in hope" (apostolic letter "Patres Ecclesiae," No. 1).
2. Now, some of their relics -- remains of those bodies that lived the following of Christ, suffered persecution for his Name, and were temples of the Holy Spirit -- return to Constantinople.
In handing back these very holy relics we perceive a blessed opportunity to purify our wounded memories, to reinforce our path of reconciliation, to confirm that the faith of these holy Doctors of ours is the faith of the Churches of East and West. We see, at the same time, the propitious hour "to show in word and deed today the immense riches that our Churches preserve in the coffers of their traditions" ("Orientale Lumen," No. 4).
This is the "propitious moment" to unite to their intercession our prayer so that the Lord will hasten the hour in which we will be able to live together, in the celebration of the holy Eucharist, full communion, and thus contribute in a more effective manner to make the world believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord.
3. Beloved Brother, I will never cease to seek firmly and determinedly this communion among the disciples of Christ, as my desire, in response to the will of the Lord, consists in being servant of communion "in truth and in love so that the ship -- that beautiful symbol which the World Council of Churches has chosen as its emblem -- will not be buffeted by the storms and will one day reach its haven."
The Lord, who comes among his saints (see Zechariah 14:5), confirm our aims and preserve us in the daily commitment of the fulfilling of the new commandment. In the patience of Christ and in the charity of God, with brotherly affection.
From the Vatican, November 27, 2004
IOANNES PAULUS II
http://www.catholic.org , VA
Pope John Paul II - Bishop of Rome, 661 869-1000
Pope, Patriarch, Bartholomew I, Relics, Saints
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- 26 Coptic Christians BRUTALLY MURDERED on bus to St. Samuel Monastery ...
- Daily Readings for Saturday, May 27, 2017
- First US female genital mutilation case tries to use Religious ...
- A Big Thank You from JESUS IS - The Series HD Video
- Catholic Hostages: Filipino Cardinal prays for Islamic militants to ...
- 26 Coptic Christians dead after heinous attack HD Video
- St. Augustine of Canterbury: Saint of the Day for Saturday, May 27, 2017
- Day 5 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 4 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 3 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.