Pope's Letter to Bartholomew I at Return of Relics
"A Blessed Opportunity to Reinforce Our Path of Reconciliation"
VATICAN CITY, NOV. 29, 2004 (Zenit) - Here is a translation of the letter John Paul II addressed to Orthodox Patriarch , on the occasion of the return the relics of Sts. Gregory Nazianzen and John Chrysostom during an ecumenical celebration Saturday in St. Peter's Basilica.
* * *
To the Beloved Brother Bartholomew I, Patriarch of Constantinople:
1. Very vivid in my heart is the joy of our meeting in the atrium of this Vatican basilica on June 29 of this year, on the occasion of the feast of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul. And now the Lord, in his benevolence, again gives us the possibility to live here, before the tomb of the Apostle Peter, another fraternal meeting in love, in prayer, and in the determination to walk together toward that full and visible unity that Christ wills for his disciples.
This opportunity is offered to us by our common veneration of the relics of Sts. Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom, two Fathers of the Church of the East, two holy patriarchs of Constantinople, two Doctors of the Church who, together with St. Basil the Great, have always been honored with a feast in the Catholic Church. And we, every time that "we meet with these our Fathers, we are confirmed in the faith and encouraged in hope" (apostolic letter "Patres Ecclesiae," No. 1).
2. Now, some of their relics -- remains of those bodies that lived the following of Christ, suffered persecution for his Name, and were temples of the Holy Spirit -- return to Constantinople.
In handing back these very holy relics we perceive a blessed opportunity to purify our wounded memories, to reinforce our path of reconciliation, to confirm that the faith of these holy Doctors of ours is the faith of the Churches of East and West. We see, at the same time, the propitious hour "to show in word and deed today the immense riches that our Churches preserve in the coffers of their traditions" ("Orientale Lumen," No. 4).
This is the "propitious moment" to unite to their intercession our prayer so that the Lord will hasten the hour in which we will be able to live together, in the celebration of the holy Eucharist, full communion, and thus contribute in a more effective manner to make the world believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord.
3. Beloved Brother, I will never cease to seek firmly and determinedly this communion among the disciples of Christ, as my desire, in response to the will of the Lord, consists in being servant of communion "in truth and in love so that the ship -- that beautiful symbol which the World Council of Churches has chosen as its emblem -- will not be buffeted by the storms and will one day reach its haven."
The Lord, who comes among his saints (see Zechariah 14:5), confirm our aims and preserve us in the daily commitment of the fulfilling of the new commandment. In the patience of Christ and in the charity of God, with brotherly affection.
From the Vatican, November 27, 2004
IOANNES PAULUS II
http://www.catholic.org , VA
Pope John Paul II - Bishop of Rome, 661 869-1000
Pope, Patriarch, Bartholomew I, Relics, Saints
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- Quotes of the Saints - Five saints have a message for you on this ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, November 27th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Thursday, November 23, 2017
- Deacon Keith Fournier on Thanksgiving Day and the Need to Return to God
- Priest: Adoration has made Juarez safer
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Bl. Miguel Pro: Saint of the Day for Thursday, November 23, 2017
- Will 2018 be the year the Big One hits California? The news media makes a shocking claim HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, November 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, November 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, November 24th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way