(Greek Ainon ; Vulgate, Ænnon ; Douay, Ennon ).
Mentioned in John 3:23 , as the locality where the forerunner of Christbaptized. It is described as being "near Salim" and as having "much water". Where is it situated? Barclay's hypothesis, which gratuitously identifies Salim with Jerusalem and selects the Wady Fara as the scene of the Baptist's activity, is improbable. Nor should it be sought in the southern extremity of Palestine, where one would look in vain for "much water". Conder and others favour Ainun, a village to the north-east of ancient Salim. This identification is also open to objections. Ainun is about as near to Nabulus (ancient Sichem ) as it is to Salim. Since the former was the more important, we should rather expect the Evangelist to describe Ænon as being "near Sichem ". Moreover, according to this hypothesis, the place selected by the Baptist would have been in the very heart of Samaritan territory, which the Jews avoided, and, therefore, ill-suited for the missionary purpose of Christ's precursor. The most probable opinion places Ænon in the valley of the Jordan, some two miles to the west of the stream and about seven miles to the south of Beisan (ancient Scythopolis ). This site was on the confines of the Samaritan territory and on the road frequented by the Galileans. Van de Velde found a Salim in this place, and close by there are seven wells -- "much water". Eusebius, St. Jerome, and St. Silvia saw the ruins of Salim, and there a guide pointed out to them the place where John baptized.
More Volume: 0
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- 'Living Lent': Monday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 27
- Daily Reading for Sunday, March 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Monday, March 27, 2017
- The importance of human touch - Premature baby reaches out nurse in ...
- St. Rupert: Saint of the Day for Monday, March 27, 2017
- Medicaid - Who needs it and what will happen to the program with ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Monday, March 27th, 2017 HD
- Adorable girl captured stealing Pope Francis' hat in hilarious footage HD
- Cause of cancer detected from unexpected and unpreventable element HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, March 25th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.