Monastery of Saint Lucius
Located in Chur, Switzerland. The Church of St. Lucius was built over the grave of this saint, whose relics were preserved in it until the sixteenth century. Originally the church was the cathedral. St. Valentinian enlarged it in the first half of the sixth century and built the crypt which is still in existence. In the ninth century a new cathedral was built by Bishop Tello in a former Roman fortress and St. Luzi was temporarily a branch of the Benedictine Abbey of Pfäfer. About 1140 it became a Premonstratensian abbey. At the time of the schism of the sixteenth century Theodore Schlegel, Abbot of St. Luzi, was especially energetic and skillful in defending the Catholic Faith. He was executed by the Protestants after terrible torture on 23 January, 1529. The monks were driven out and the monastery remained empty for a hundred years, the relics of St. Lucius being taken to the cathedral. Community life was continued at Bendern in Liechtenstein. In 1624 the monastery was restored and continued to exist until the beginning of the nineteenth century. By the decision of the Imperial Delegates at Ratisbon the possessions of the monastery in Liechtenstein and Vorarlberg were given in 1802 to the Prince of Orange. Consequently the monastery had no further means of existence. In 1806, therefore, the abbot and community transferred the monastery and all its rights to the episcopal seminary ; this transfer was confirmed in the same year by Pius VII . The seminary was transferred to the former monastery, where it still exists; it has four courses of theology and seven professors.
More Catholic Encyclopedia
Browse Encyclopedia by Alphabet
The Catholic Encyclopedia is the most comprehensive resource on Catholic teaching, history, and information ever gathered in all of human history. This easy-to-search online version was originally printed in fifteen hardcopy volumes.
Designed to present its readers with the full body of Catholic teaching, the Encyclopedia contains not only precise statements of what the Church has defined, but also an impartial record of different views of acknowledged authority on all disputed questions, national, political or factional. In the determination of the truth the most recent and acknowledged scientific methods are employed, and the results of the latest research in theology, philosophy, history, apologetics, archaeology, and other sciences are given careful consideration.
No one who is interested in human history, past and present, can ignore the Catholic Church, either as an institution which has been the central figure in the civilized world for nearly two thousand years, decisively affecting its destinies, religious, literary, scientific, social and political, or as an existing power whose influence and activity extend to every part of the globe. In the past century the Church has grown both extensively and intensively among English-speaking peoples. Their living interests demand that they should have the means of informing themselves about this vast institution, which, whether they are Catholics or not, affects their fortunes and their destiny.
Browse the Catholic Encyclopedia by Topic
Copyright © Catholic Encyclopedia. Robert Appleton Company New York, NY. Volume 1: 1907; Volume 2: 1907; Volume 3: 1908; Volume 4: 1908; Volume 5: 1909; Volume 6: 1909; Volume 7: 1910; Volume 8: 1910; Volume 9: 1910; Volume 10: 1911; Volume 11: - 1911; Volume 12: - 1911; Volume 13: - 1912; Volume 14: 1912; Volume 15: 1912
Catholic Online Catholic Encyclopedia Digital version Compiled and Copyright © Catholic Online