The top ten most popular college majors
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
8/21/2011 (5 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
In high school, the student is required to sit through history, math,
and physical education as per their state's academic guidelines. This
all changes once the student enters college, where they are given a wide
array of classes in order to pursue the career of their choice. On the fast-track to the career of their choice, choosing the right major will eventually help them earn a living.
In Computer and Information Sciences, students are exposed to areas such as robotics, natural language recognition programs, artificial intelligence, programming languages, numerical analysis, and gaming technology.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The Princeton Review's has released their Top 10 Majors list. Students are warned that these are not necessarily the degrees that garner the most demand in the job market. More importantly, they don't lock the student into a set career path. Each major offers unique intellectual challenges and develops skill sets that will be applicable to various careers.
1. Business Administration and Management/Commerce. Talents required for this major include problem solving, number crunching, decision making and great communication skills! While studying business, the student will get a thorough grounding in the theories and principles of accounting, finance, marketing, economics, statistics, and human resources functions.
2. Psychology. This major focuses on such features of the human mind as learning, cognition, intelligence, motivation, emotion, perception, personality, mental disorders, and the ways in which our individual preferences are inherited from our parents or shaped by our environment.
3. Nursing. Compassionate people with a great mind for the intricate and sometimes heartbreaking world of medicine will be well-suited for a nursing career. In the course of evaluating, diagnosing, and treating health problems there is also the chance to work with ever-evolving and ultra-sophisticated technology.
4. Biology/Biological Sciences. From microscopic organisms to cloning procedures, biology encompasses pretty much the whole world. Biology majors can study human, plants, animals, and the environments in which they live, and studies are conducted at the cellular level, the ecosystem level or anywhere in between.
5. Education. In this major, you'll learn the skills necessary to become an effective and inspirational teacher with the ability to influence young children and teenagers when they are most impressionable.
6. English Language and Literature. English programs focus on literature, language, and writing, and an English major will encounter a wide array of absorbing works of fiction, poetry, and nonfiction from around the world and throughout history.
7. Economics. This discipline is the study of choices: those of individuals, businesses, governments, and societies and how they choose to spend their time and money and otherwise allocate their resources.
8. Communications Studies/Speech Communication and Rhetoric. Communications majors tend to be great storytellers with quick wits and fiery personalities. Students learn about verbal and nonverbal messages, audience reaction, and the varied effects of different communication environments.
9. Political Science and Government. The study of politics of government, and some of the common concentrations are American government, public policy, foreign affairs, political philosophy, and comparative government. Political science majors develop excellent critical thinking and communication skills, and more broadly, an understanding of history and culture.
10. Computer and Information Sciences. Students are exposed to areas such as robotics, natural language recognition programs, artificial intelligence, programming languages, numerical analysis, and gaming technology.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
Finding the right College
There's no magic formula for choosing a college, but there are steps you can take to find a good fit. Use this tool to start your journey.
Latest College News
One hundred and seventy-nine years ago, two Jesuit priests sold 272 persons at a slave auction. Their families were torn apart: many of ... continue reading
(Vatican Radio) Pope Francis on Friday visited one of Rome's major institutions of higher education today: the UniversitÃ degli ... continue reading
The UCLA campus has been put on lockdown after reports of a shooter in the university's Boelter Hall were released via social media. ... continue reading
In a move reminiscent of the early 1900s, North Carolina State University segregated a student Christian group from the rest of the student ... continue reading
St. Mary's University in Twickenham, London has been formally approved to name one of their buildings after Benedict XVI. LOS ANGELES, CA ... continue reading