Good News for Ave Maria University: Jim Towey Named New President
Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives and as Assistant to President George W. Bush from 2002 to May 2006. In addition, I monitor the vital work in the new and renewed authentically Catholic Colleges and Universities because I am convinced it is the most important work underway in this new missionary age. I admired Mr. Towey's solid leadership as the President of Saint Vincent College in Latrobe, Pennsylvania where he served from 2006 until he stepped down in 2010. I knew then he would be given another assignment by the Lord.
Finally, I am currently writing the PhD dissertation for the Catholic University of America in Moral Theology. When now Bishop David O'Connell stepped aside as President of the Catholic University of America, I watched with personal concern as the process to choose his successor unfolded. I admired President O'Connell's leadership and knew how important it was that the progress he achieved continue.
When I complete and defend this PhD dissertation, Catholic U will be one of my alma maters. I thoroughly enjoyed my studies there and believe it is also one of the jewels in the crown of Catholic higher education in America. Up until the last minute I thought Jim Towey might become "my president." When the CUA Board chose another highly qualified candidate I decided to keep my eyes on Jim Towey. I had a sense there was more for this gifted man to do. Today, that spiritual sense was confirmed.
President Elect Towey released this statement, "It is a new day at Ave Maria and I am excited about its future. The start up phase is over, a strong foundation is now in place, and now we must go about the difficult work of building the best Catholic liberal arts university in America. We will attract more of the best students available, continue to recruit and retain the very finest professors, and secure the financial resources necessary to fulfill the University's potential. Tom Monaghan has devoted all of his wealth and energy to get us to this point and now it is time for the rest of us to ask what we can do to help Ave Maria transition to self-sufficiency and new excellence."
Congratulations to President-Elect Towey. Our prayers and support are with you as you undertake this new and vital assignment leading Our Lady's University in this new missionary age of the Catholic Church. Thank you Tom Monaghan for courageously persevering in this work, through so many obstacles, and showing us the kind of "holy obstinacy" forged by living faith. And thank you Nick Healy, well done old friend... but don't get too comfortable, I have a sense you have much more to do!
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Jim Towey, Ave Maria University, Tom Monaghan, Nick Healy, Catholic Colleges, Catholic Universities, Missionaries, Deacon Keith Fournier
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More College & University News
- Chart-Topping Sister Mary Josefa Reflects on Thomas Aquinas College
- UST Alumni Grant Funds to St. Thomas Students
- Faith, Truth Focus of Speakers at UST Commencement
- Dr. Beena George Named New UST Cameron Dean
- UST Honors Student Sings Her Way to Grad School
- Archbishop Josť H. Gomez at Franciscan University: In this Time of Mission
- Brother and Sister Plant It Forward at UST
- UST's Macias Accepted to Thomistic Seminar
- UST's Taco Tasting Raises $35,000 for Scholarships
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?