Rapture comedy 'This is the End' stepping on quite a few toes
Inebriated male friends join up at a party only to see the world ending around them
Deemed a comedy hit by those in the know, "This is the End" is a raunchy R-rated laugh-fest about a group of inebriated male friends who head out to a wild party in the Hollywood hills, only to witness the world ending around them. As the earth crumbles around the stately mansion, they note that some people are being caught up into the sky to be "raptured," and must set off to do one totally selfless thing before the End of Days. The film has predictably set off alarms in the religious community.
Rapture comedy "This is the End" has rampant violent, sexual and other objectionable material, including blasphemy.
Christian Spotlight on Entertainment, a Webs site that grades motion pictures as they adhere to Biblical morality, predictably has a lot of issues with the film.
"A few members of the group figure out that they can be saved and 'raptured' to heaven by committing selfless acts, and so they proceed to commit selfless acts in order to save themselves. This tactic ends up working for four of them - though one man manages to promptly lose his salvation - even though only one of them actually appears to commit a selfless act without self-serving intentions."
The review goes on to describe in detail all the violent, sexual and other objectionable material found in the film.
"It feels like there are not enough negative adjectives to use to describe the content in 'This Is the End,' and, even if there were enough, any negative adjectives we could use would only be perceived as a compliment. It is the sort of movie that is made to offend sensibilities in as many ways as possible during its 107 minutes. We see the importance of honesty and friendship in this movie only because nearly everyone exhibits the exact opposite attributes onscreen."
While many are looking to the film to be a runaway hit this summer season, the only reasonable response to those who would be offended by "This is the End" - is NOT to see it, sending a message to Hollywood producers that the movie going audience doesn't find religious satire either amusing, or appropriate.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Movies News
- 'Fast & Furious' star Paul Walker killed in 'possible street race'
- 'Catching Fire' sets November opening box-office record
- 'Catching Fire' is expected to do just that, at box offices worldwide
- You get to keep that DVD - forever! Blockbuster Video to shut down altogether
- Captain Phillipps, el nuevo filme de Tom Hanks, retrata heroísmo de marino católico
- 'Gravity' holds on to the top spot this movie weekend
- 'Gravity' has substantial weight with $55.8 million for first weekend
- Long lost Three Stooges short found in Australian garden shed
- Long-lost silent film starring Mary Pickford unearthed by carpenter
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?