‘Abortion Changes You’ Ads Reappear in NYC Subways
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Reproductive grief after abortion is rarely discussed, often misunderstood
FOR INFORMATION CONTACT:
Suzanna Kennedy; (619) 952-2283
New York City, NY (March 1, 2010)– 2,000 new ads stating ‘abortion changes you’ will reappear this month on New York City subways. Similar ads were seen by hundreds of thousands of New York subway riders in 2008. New Yorkers responded by visiting the Abortion Changes You website (abortionchangesyou.com) and sharing their stories of reproductive grief after abortion.
One young woman writes, “I’m 24, confused and alone…I felt like I was the only one suffering until I found this website on the train.” Another man shares that he was 18 when he and his girlfriend terminated a pregnancy. He didn’t think about it until the birth of another child years later, “I couldn't help but think about my first son. He would be 20 years old now.”
The new ads echo the experiences of men and women. The image of a young woman shares: "I thought life would be the way it was before," while a male on another says: "I often wonder if there was something I could have done to help her."
According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute, 1 in 3 women will have an abortion by age 45. 1 in 4 pregnancies ends in miscarriage and 1 in 80 pregnancies ends in stillbirth. The grief associated with such reproductive losses is often minimized, denied, and considered to be outside the normal “grieving rules” of society - especially when it comes to abortion.
“When I had my abortion I kept it a secret for a long time because I was afraid of how people would react. Few people know how to talk about abortion in a safe way,” says Michaelene Fredenburg, the creator of the ads and author of Changed: Making Sense of Your Own or a Loved One’s Abortion Experience, “Every person moves through reproductive loss and grief differently. An abortion experience can create a range of emotions, from feelings of relief, to confusion, to profound grief.”
The abortionchangesyou.com Web site listed on the subway ads is a safe place separate from politics, labels, and debate. The site includes an interactive grief and loss healing model developed with the help of psychologists. Men, women, and family members can begin the healing process by journaling, exploring emotions, posting artwork and more. Visitors can also connect with support groups and counseling in their local area through the ‘Find Help’ section.
“The Abortion Changes You outreach was developed by men and women who experienced abortion and want to let others know they are not alone,” says Fredenburg, “Many men and women find their own thoughts and feelings in our ads. We hope the new subway ads continue to reach those who want support.”
For more information or to schedule an interview with Michaelene Fredenburg, please contact Suzanna Kennedy at (619) 952-2283.
Abortion Changes You
http://www.abortionchangesyou.com CA, 91502 US
Suzanna Kennedy - Communications Director, 619 952-2283
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- The CatholicTV Network Announces Programming in Honor of the Celestine Year
- Religious Educators Learn How to Keep Christ at the Heart of the New Evangelization
- Fifth Centenary Celebration Unifies Faithful through Spirituality, Technology and Music
- Media Advisory: Messenger of the Truth documentary to air in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara
- Provocative music-driven love story to contend in year of faith films
- Youth Conference Brings Teens 'Face to Face' With God
- The CatholicTV Network Honors National NFP Awareness Week
- Leading Catholic Church law judge and bishops support Catholics faithful to spouses after divorce
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater L.A. Announces Catholic Coalition Partnership, Inaugural Build Event
- Liguori Publications Buys Franciscan Media’s Parish Resources