Rev. Lucien Deiss, Renowned Scripture Scholar and Expert on Liturgical Music, Dies at age 86.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FRANKLIN PARK, IL, OCTOBER 11, 2007 - On Tuesday, October 9, 2007, Reverend Lucien Deiss, C.S.Sp., celebrated what he often referred to as “the most joyful day of my life” in returning home to be with his Lord. His funeral will be celebrated on Saturday, October 13 at Seminaire des Missiones in Larue, France.
Father Deiss, a native of France and resident of the Seminaire des Missiones in Larue, France, was a pastor, liturgist, composer, author, and international lecturer. Best known to Roman Catholics in the United States through his scriptural songs such as “All the Earth” “Keep in Mind” and “Grant to Us, O Lord,” Father Deiss was also widely known in Europe and the U.S. as a scholar in the fields of Sacred Scripture and Patristics. He was selected by Pope Paul VI to coordinate the Lectionary psalter following the Second Vatican Council. His “Biblical Hymns and Psalms” was the first significant way that millions of Catholics in the U.S. came to sing the Word of God and treasure it in their hearts. For this he was given an honorary Doctorate in Sacred Music from Duquesne University.
A tireless advocate of the reforms of Vatican II, Father Deiss continually encouraged those who worked in liturgical reform in the United States to remain fervent in prayer to the Holy Spirit, and he dedicated much of his life to liturgical catechesis through workshops and the well-known “Deiss days” sponsored by his publisher World Library Publications (WLP), then known as World Library of Sacred Music. He was, above all, a man of prayer, dedicated to the celebration of the Eucharist, and was always filled with a gentle and loving humor.
”We at World Library Publications mourn the passing of Father Deiss, and share in his joy as he lives and sings for all ages in the eternal light of his Risen Savior,” shares Mary Prete, General Manager of WLP.
More information about Father Deiss’ life, ministry, and published works is available at www.wlpmusic.com.
World Library Publications
http://www.wlpmusic.com IL, US
Jennifer Odegard - Assistant Director of Marketing, 847 233-2800
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- EWTN PREMIERE: New StoryTel Film Explores Soldiers of Christ in America
- Crosiers offer novena for protection against Ebola virus
- Meet the enemy of big government: J.R.R. Tolkien
- Enter the world of beatniks, hippies … and singing monks?
- Pontiff and Prophet: Pope Paul VI predictions in On Human Life ring true throughout the world
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Catholic Universities
- Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- ‘Christmas in Harvard Square’ wows with impressive debut on Billboard charts
- Pontifical Low Mass (DVD & Booklet)
- Horrific tragedy inspires Catholic entrepreneur to create powerful novel