THREE CATHOLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOLARSHIPS OFFERED - Deadline May 15, 2014
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Los Angeles, CA (January 13, 2014) - Pope Francis wrote “Dear young people, always be missionaries of the Gospel, every day and in every place.”
Catholic Elementary Schools offer students not only an outstanding education but a window on the world. Learning about the people of the world takes on a unique perspective when viewed through the eyes of missionaries. Individuals who go out to share the skills they can with others as they also share their faith.
To celebrate this connection between Catholic elementary school students and mission, the Lay Mission-Helpers Association will be offering the second annual Msgr. Anthony Brouwers Memorial Scholarship to be presented in October at the Missionary Childhood Association Mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in Los Angeles. Msgr. Anthony Brouwers was the visionary of the Lay Mission Movement.
This scholarship, named for the founder of Lay Mission-Helpers, Msgr. Brouwers, was awarded in 2013 to two students. Cesar Melendez and Dat Nguyen receiving a $1,500 and $500 awards respectively, and were recognized by the President of the Board of Directors, Bill Metzdorf. “You are endowed by special gifts that God has given you and now it’s the time to share them,” Metzdorf told the two young students while they stood at the altar in front of 3,000 students from around the Archdiocese. (photos available upone request)
Executive Director, Elise Frederick noted that inviting students to learn more about the needs of our brothers and sisters around the world is exactly what Msgr. Brouwers would want. It is a unique role that Lay Mission-Helpers Association has in working to meet some of these needs. LMH has sent single people, married couples and families to 36 countries around the world. Teachers, nurses, accountants, engineers, and others serving three years and more are making a world of difference.
Additional information including the rules for the contest, a lesson plan for teachers, and a flyer about the scholarship are available on the web site of Lay Mission-Helpers, or can be requested by e-mail. Students are invited to learn more about the life of Msgr. Anthony Brouwers, and the programs he founded, and submit an essay. The deadline for the essays is May 15, 2014.
NB: In remembrance of the 50 anniversary of the death of Msgr. Brouwers the ebook on his life ‘For
We are God’s Helpers’ will be offered for only 99 cents from January 14, 2014 - February 14, 2014.
Lay Mission-Helpers Association, founded in 1955, assists Catholic lay people in their desire to serve in mission. Since that time these dedicated lay missionaries have worked in Africa, the Pacific, Papua New Guinea, Asia and Latin America.
On the web at www.LayMissionHelpers.org
Scholarship, catholic elementary school, mission, missionary,
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Religious Educators Learn How to Keep Christ at the Heart of the New Evangelization
- Fifth Centenary Celebration Unifies Faithful through Spirituality, Technology and Music
- Media Advisory: Messenger of the Truth documentary to air in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara
- Provocative music-driven love story to contend in year of faith films
- Youth Conference Brings Teens 'Face to Face' With God
- The CatholicTV Network Honors National NFP Awareness Week
- Leading Catholic Church law judge and bishops support Catholics faithful to spouses after divorce
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater L.A. Announces Catholic Coalition Partnership, Inaugural Build Event
- Liguori Publications Buys Franciscan Media’s Parish Resources
- Pauline Books & Media 2014 CPA Awards