Symposium to Examine Catholic Higher Education's Role in the New Evangelization
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (September 26, 2013) - The call has gone forth from recent popes for Catholics to take part in the "new evangelization." How Catholic colleges and universities can engage in this new evangelistic thrust will be the focus of a two-day symposium to be held at Franciscan University of Steubenville, October 10-11, 2013.
The Catholic Higher Education and the New Evangelization Symposium will be the capstone event to the inaugural week for Father Sean O. Sheridan, TOR, who will be inaugurated October 10 as the sixth president of Franciscan University.
Conference planner Dr. Jonathan Sanford, professor of philosophy and assistant vice president for Academic Affairs at Franciscan University, says the conference will address what it means to serve the new evangelization through the academic life of the university. Universities "often pit evangelization against academic studies in fields like the sciences, literature, history, and so on," he explained, adding that from a Franciscan and Catholic perspective, all disciplines bear on the truth. "Indeed, in studying itself we are engaged in the process of evangelization, so this community of learners can play an important role in the new evangelization," said Sanford.
The symposium begins October 10 at 8:00 p.m. with an address by Bishop Jeffrey Monforton of the Diocese of Steubenville titled, "A Shepherd's Perspective on Catholic Higher Education and the New Evangelization."
The morning of October 11, John Garvey, president of The Catholic University of America, will speak on the conference's theme, followed by Father Sheridan, who will give "A Presidential Perspective on Franciscan University of Steubenville and the New Evangelization."
The symposium concludes in the afternoon with a faculty roundtable followed by closing remarks from Dr. Daniel Kempton, vice president for Academic Affairs.
Following the symposium, Dr. Scott Hahn, The Father Michael Scanlan, TOR, Chair of Biblical Theology and the New Evangelization at Franciscan University, will give a special talk at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, October 11, in Christ the King Chapel on "The New Evangelization and Franciscan University."
Dr. Hahn's talk and all symposium presentations are free and open to the public. Advance registration for the symposium is requested at www.franciscan.edu/inauguration, where you will also find additional information about all inaugural events.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University, New Evangelization, Dr. Scott Hahn, symposium
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Crosier Order elects master general and councilors
- Indie Catholic Authors June Ebook Sale Offers the Faithful 17 Books Outside the Mainstream
- World Library Publications Honored With Three Paul Revere Awards
- Limitless Love in Action: First Steubenville Youth Conference Inspires Teens to Bring the Fire Home
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Athletic Director Enshrined in Sports Faith Hall of Fame
- AWARD-WINNING CATHOLIC AUTHORS TEAM-UP TO PROMOTE HEALING THROUGH FORGIVENESS
- NY CONCERT FOR NEPAL 5/31
- Who's responsible for designing the designer?
- Thu, Jun 11, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Bill Adams at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church
- Your search for true happiness is over