Mary’s Meals Founder to Speak on Work for Impoverished Children
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (September 3, 2013) - Magnus MacFarlane-Barrow, founder of Mary’s Meals, an organization that pairs gaining an education with feeding impoverished children, will speak in the Tony and Nina Gentile Gallery of Franciscan University of Steubenville on Sunday, September 15, at 7:00 p.m.
The documentary CHILD 31 will also be shown, which exhibits MacFarlane-Barrow’s work in Malawi, Kenya, and India. The short film was screened at prestigious film festivals all over the world, and won the Best Documentary and Best Soundtrack awards at the Pan Pacific Film Festival.
Mary’s Meals provides one meal every school day to over 750,000 children worldwide. The organization is named after the Blessed Mother, who raised her own son in poverty.
Mary’s Meals traces its roots to 1992, when during the Bosnian conflict, MacFarlane-Barrow and his brother Fergus loaded a jeep with supplies and delivered them to Medjugorje in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Eventually, MacFarlane-Barrow, a fish farmer, founded Mary’s Meals.
The Mary’s Meals Franciscan University Chapter, under the guidance of theology professor Dr. Andrew Minto, raised thousands of dollars to open a kitchen in Malawi. Students are now fundraising to build a second kitchen elsewhere.
MacFarlane-Barrow’s talk is sponsored by Mary’s Meals Franciscan University Chapter and Franciscan University’s Center for Leadership. It is free and open to the public.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Mary's Meals, CHILD 31, Magnus Mac-Farlane-Barrow
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- EWTN PREMIERE: New StoryTel Film Explores Soldiers of Christ in America
- Crosiers offer novena for protection against Ebola virus
- Meet the enemy of big government: J.R.R. Tolkien
- Enter the world of beatniks, hippies … and singing monks?
- Pontiff and Prophet: Pope Paul VI predictions in On Human Life ring true throughout the world
- George Weigel on Evangelical Catholicism in Catholic Universities
- Frankfurt Book Fair 2014
- ‘Christmas in Harvard Square’ wows with impressive debut on Billboard charts
- Pontifical Low Mass (DVD & Booklet)
- Horrific tragedy inspires Catholic entrepreneur to create powerful novel