Mission of Healing in Los Angeles
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
LOS ANGELES, CA (May 14, 2013) - Sunday May 5th, was the fourth year, St. John the Evangelist was the site of a community Health and Wellness Fair in partnership Mission Doctors Association. This ‘Cinco de Mayo’ event brought together a variety of services and resources to the community once again. New this year was the connection and support of St. Mary’s Academy, and many young women who are active in the Health Careers program there.
St. Mary’s 9th grader Rachel Forkas, shared that she “Enjoyed interacting with the children and helping them learn healthy habits.”
Jeanne Fisher, Director of the Health Carerrs Program at St. Mary’s Academy “The students in the 4 years Health Careers Program enjoyed preparing for and participating in the Health and Wellness fair. Teaching the children the importance of healthy living is in line with what they learn in their classes at school, and prepares them for their future careers as health care professionals. Involvement in the fair is a ‘win – win’ for all!” 11th grader Sidni Watson said she, “Had fun and an amazing time with the children playing fun fitness games like ‘skip it’.”
Executive Director of Mission Doctors, Elise Frederick, reported that services included vision and hearing screening from Lions. St. Vincent’s Multi Cultural outreach provided screening for diabetes, blood pressure, and mammograms. Representatives from AA (Alcoholics Anonymous), NAMI, (National Association for Mental Illness) the Red Cross and even a fire truck from Los Angeles Fire Department were on hand. Pediatric dental screenings was provided and a member of Mission Doctors Association provided hours of dermatological screening. St. John’s the parish home for Lay Mission-Helpers and Mission Doctors during their four-month formation prior to accepting a three year mission assignment. “Working with St. John’s to bring this to the community is a way to express our appreciate for the support and welcome they provide our missionaries every year.” noted Ms. Frederick.
No Cinco de Mayo celebration would be complete without good food and here a healthy plate was available including chicken tacos, brown rice, black beans and pico de gallo.
Pastor, Fr. Damian Kabot thanked Mission Doctors, St. Mary’s, St. Vincent’s, Lions and others for giving their time on behalf of the community at St. John’s.
Mission Doctors Association
http://www.MissionDoctors.org CA, 90010 US
Elise Frederick - Executive Director, 213-368-1872
Mission Doctors Association, Health Fair, St. John, Los Angeles, MDA
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Thu, Sept 25, 2014 - Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Angelos Sebastian at Our Lady of Grace Catholic
- Employment Opportunities with the LA Archdiocese
- Marriage and Family at the Forefront of Social Science Conference
- New books and key experts available in time for October Synod on Marriage and Family
- Franciscan University Reacts to Latest HHS Mandate Ruling
- Former Polish Prime Minister to Speak on Legacy of St. John Paul II
- Divine Mercy Drama Comes to Washington, DC
- Gospel of Mark — Ready, Set, Go! - September 6, 2014
- Come to the Sisters of Providence Fall Discernment Weekend Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2014
- New Book Helps Readers Trust God with St. Therese's Little Way