Author, Convert Speaks on Evangelizing Our Neo-Pagan World
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For a full-length video of Steve Ray’s talk, plus presentations by many other Franciscan University speakers, go to www.FaithAndReason.com.
STEUBENVILLE, OH (February 19, 2013) - There is no need to develop elaborate plans to combat our highly secularized culture, because we have already been shown the way through the example of the early Christians, said Catholic convert and author Steve Ray.
Speaking in January at Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ray said that we live in a society that “wants to get rid of God.”
“The early Christians, very carefully and very slowly, were able to turn the whole world upside down for Jesus Christ. How did those early Christians, in that pagan culture that they lived in, how did they actually change the world and bring it to Christianity?” he asked.
Ray said that evangelization begins by building personal relationships with others and by living a distinctive kind of life. He said that the early Christians were not allowed to speak about Christ in public, so they had to live out their faith in unique ways. Through their radical lifestyles, the early Christians made a significant impact on the pagan culture of their time.
Ray is a popular speaker, author, and leader of pilgrimages to the Holy Land. Having grown up in a Baptist family, he discussed the importance of overcoming the mindset that Catholics tend to have about their faith being “private and personal.”
“There are a lot of problems in the world today, and we, as Catholics, have the answers,” he said. “I encourage all of you to prepare for the new evangelization, to love Jesus, to learn what you’re learning here and take what you’re learning here and go out into the world.”
Ray’s talk, held in Christ the King Chapel, was an initiative of the Franciscan University Year of Faith Committee.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://www.franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Steve Ray, author, convert, Franciscan University of Steubenville, evangelization, society
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Gospel of Mark — Ready, Set, Go! - September 6, 2014
- Come to the Sisters of Providence Fall Discernment Weekend Oct. 31-Nov. 2, 2014
- New Book Helps Readers Trust God with St. Therese's Little Way
- CatholicTV Launches 2.0 of iOS app, Android 2.0 to soon follow
- OCP brings music to South Korea’s Asian Youth Day
- Episode 35 with Guest Dr. Paul Thigpen
- Jersey City, NJ - Saturday August 23rd Catholic Young Professionals Mass & Biergarten Social
- CESJ Names Fr. Trigilio and Dcn. Gorini to Board of Counselors
- FORBES Ranks Franciscan University Among America's Top Colleges
- 2 million reach out to Heartbeat's option line