New Album: 'Gregorian Chant: Together on the Way'
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
"Gregorian Chant: Together on the Way" by the Norbertine Fathers of St. Michael's Abbey
LOS ANGELES, CA (October 23, 2012) - This is the 4th Gregorian chant album by the Norbertine Fathers of St. Michael's Abbey in California. The recording includes chant performed with the Pacific Symphony Orchestra at Segerstrom Hall as well as a selection of tracks from a concert at Biola University.
The album will be released physically and digitally on November 6, 2012.
For three grace-filled nights in February of 2011 the choir of St. Michael's chanted at Segerstrom Hall to introduce and complement Maestro Carl St. Clair's conception of Anton Bruckner's Symphony 9 as performed by the Pacific Symphony Orchestra. Then, in March of 2012, Biola University asked the Norbertines to chant at the close of their Art Symposium on Sacred Space as a demonstration of what sacred music should fill a sacred space.
Although the Fathers knew those who heard them would for the most part not understand what they were chanting, it was their fondest hope that by listening they would be inspired to join their hearts in prayer.
Since none of these concerts were recorded, the Norbertines thought to capture the experience in the only way possible--to produce this album with the same pieces sung before, yet in the very homely studio of their own abbey church and now with translations provided.
A Note from Carl St.Clair,
Music Director of the Pacific Symphony
Having the Norbertine Priests chanting, standing shoulder to shoulder in a pool of golden light, created a powerful aura of spirituality rarely experienced in the Renée and Henry Segerstrom Concert Hall. Their purity of tone and unity of purpose poignantly beckoned. Their prayers were answered and God's presence embraced the audience, gently ushering them from the rigors of daily life left behind into music's blessed realm.
The evening's offering was Anton Bruckner's Symphony 9, his final musical thoughts, dedicated "an den lieben Gott." For most of us, time begins at the beginning. For Bruckner, time began at the end of Earthly life, starting anew the long awaited journey with his "beloved God." God's omnipotence was never more obvious. The Norbertines' presence cleansed our souls allowing us to openly accept this powerfully personal music. It was an evening forever cherished, never forgotten. Thank you dear Fathers.
St. Michael's Abbey
A small group of Hungarian Norbertine priests came to California in the late 1950s and went on to establish a novitiate and preparatory school in 1961. At the time, they envisioned a quick return home after the Hungarian people threw off the yoke of the Soviet Union. They had no idea what they were actually doing was founding a community that would grow, prosper and become a vibrant community that eventually would be elevated to the status of an abbey of canons regular in Orange County, California. St. Michael's Abbey has grown from 7 founders to over 70 confreres in 50 years.
Members of the community live a life that combines monastic observance and a daily singing of the choral office and Mass with an active apostolate. The abbey's principal apostolate is its preparatory school, a boys' boarding school (9-12). The priests also work in parishes, give retreats worldwide and translate spiritual books. The community's steady and continued growth has made the expansion of its facilities and school a necessity.
Jade Music has a proven dedication to releasing quality classical and spiritual music for more than 20 years. Jade Music's catalog includes works by world-renowned choirs of Santo Domingo de Silos, Solesmes, Saint-Wandrille, and Saint-Madeleine du Barroux, among others.
Jade Music, an independently owned operation with offices located in Los Angeles, California, and Paris, France, is distributed by ADA/WEA in the United States, Universal Music in France, and Warner Music International in the rest of the world.
1. Dominabitur--Gradual, Feast of Christ the King
2. Oremus pro Pontifice--for the Holy Father
3. Anima Christi--in honor of the Blessed Sacrament
4. Adoremus--in honor of the Blessed Sacrament
5. Qui sunt isti--Responsory, Common of Apostles
6. Resurrexi--Introit, Easter Sunday
7. Lętatus sum--Gradual, Fourth Sunday of Lent (Lętare Sunday)
8. Cantemus--Tract, Easter Vigil
9. Tota pulchra es--Hymn, in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary
10. Litany of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
11. Anima mea--Antiphon, in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary
12. Christus--Gradual, Good Friday
13. Dum fabricator--Antiphon, Good Friday
Tracks 1-9 were from the concerts at Segerstrom Hall. 1-5 were sung in the foyer for the concert-goers to enjoy as a change of pace from their workdays. Track 6 was sung as the Norbertines processed into the main hall and took the stage. 7 and 8 interspersed Maestro St. Clair's explanation to the audience of the musical influences on Bruckner. Track 9 was sung as the Fathers processed out of the main hall singing. Tracks 10-13 were taken from the Art Symposium at Biola University, all from the stage in their Sutherland Hall.
http://milanrecords.com/jade/releases/releases.php?release_name=GREGORIAN_CHANT_TOGETHER_ON_THE_WAY CA, 90065 US
Jade Music - ,
Gregorian Chant, Christmas, Mary, Music
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Crosier Order elects master general and councilors
- Indie Catholic Authors June Ebook Sale Offers the Faithful 17 Books Outside the Mainstream
- World Library Publications Honored With Three Paul Revere Awards
- Limitless Love in Action: First Steubenville Youth Conference Inspires Teens to Bring the Fire Home
- Franciscan University of Steubenville Athletic Director Enshrined in Sports Faith Hall of Fame
- AWARD-WINNING CATHOLIC AUTHORS TEAM-UP TO PROMOTE HEALING THROUGH FORGIVENESS
- NY CONCERT FOR NEPAL 5/31
- Who's responsible for designing the designer?
- Thu, Jun 11, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Bill Adams at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church
- Your search for true happiness is over