Dominican University Film Screening Examines Portrayal of Nuns in Popular Culture
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
River Forest, IL (March 5, 2012) - Dominican University’s Siena Center will host filmmaker Bren Ortega Murphy for a film screening and discussion on the portrayal of nuns in the popular media on Thursday, March 29, at 6:00 p.m. in Parmer Hall on Dominican’s Main Campus, 7900 Division Street, River Forest.
While most women in Roman Catholic orders in the United States have not dressed in full habit for more than 40 years, the image of nuns in habits still proliferates in the popular media. Ortega Murphy will screen and discuss her documentary “A Question of Habit: the image of women religious in U.S. popular culture,” which features interviews with prominent sisters including Helen Prejean, whose work was portrayed in the book and movie “Dead Man Walking,” and is narrated by Susan Sarandon.
Ortega Murphy holds a joint appointment in both the School of Communication and the Women’s Studies/Gender Studies program in the College of Arts & Sciences at Loyola University Chicago. An active scholar and film and radio producer, she is currently engaged in a 3-year international project on democracy, culture and Catholicism sponsored by the Joan & Bill Hank Center for Catholic Intellectual Heritage.
General admission is $5. Dominican students, faculty and staff are admitted free.
For more information, visit dom.edu/siena or contact the Siena Center at (708) 714-9105.
Dominican University established the Siena Center to engage the critical issues of church and society in the light of faith and scholarship. The center was named for St. Catherine of Siena, a 14th century laywoman who worked for the reform of the church and justice in the world. Her passionate devotion to the central issues of church and society inspires the work of the center in its schedule of lectures, symposia, workshops, retreats, research and seminars.
http://www.dom.edu/newsroom/press/2012/march/article_0003.html IL, 60305 US
Dan Armstrong - Public Relations Manager, 708-524-6452
nuns, sisters, convent, dominican university, film screening, bren ortega murphy, chicago
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Defending Traditional Marriage: Dr. Ryan Anderson Presents Marriage and the State
- Catawba River Baroque Featured at Gaudium Musicae
- DUFFY BOOK GIVES HOPE TO DIVORCED CATHOLICS
- Walsh University Hosts Third Annual Catholic Schools Photo Contest
- Internationally Published Author, Chris Benguhe Releases his Latest Book, The Best of A Better View.
- Power and Purpose Summer Conference
- Former Planned Parenthood employee is Redeemed by Grace
- The Third Edition of Clean of Heart is Now Available Through Createspace
- Thu, Mar 19, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Charles Lueras, Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church
- Media Alert: Live Web Chat With Former Planned Parenthood Manager Ramona Treviño