Spirituality and Leadership in the Ignatian Tradition
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (March 1, 2012) - "St. Ignatius said that love ought to manifest itself in deeds, not in words. So what kind of deeds could show the impact of love in a workplace?" asked Chris Lowney, a former managing director of J.P. Morgan & Co., to his audience at Franciscan University of Steubenville February 16.
In his Distinguished Speakers Series lecture, "What 21st-Century Leaders Can Learn from 16th-Century Catholic Priests," Lowney explained that traditional Ignatian methods of spirituality can also be applied to modern leadership.
Lowney said leaders should treat subordinates, shareholders, colleagues and others they interact with as fellow Christians. "People learn better and perform more effectively when they feel safe, and when people make them feel they're valuable, and when they're raised in environments that have some discipline in them.
"The best teams that I was ever on at J.P. Morgan were teams where we trusted each other, where we were more interested in helping each other win than watching each other fail, where we didn't stab each other in the back, and when we held each other very accountable to very high standards," he said.
Prior to his career at J.P. Morgan & Co., Lowney spent seven years as a Jesuit seminarian. Against the backdrop of that training, Lowney became convinced that the fundamental principles of the 450-year-old order could be applied to foster dynamic leadership to meet the challenges of the 21st century.
Challenging the Franciscan University audience, Lowney said, "This is part of your DNA in this university… this also is a place where you're being invited and mandated to turn yourself into leaders."
Complete video and audio of Lowney's talk can be found at www.franciscan.edu/distinguishedspeakersseries/.
Lowney's talk was co-sponsored by Franciscan University's Center for Leadership and the Department of Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, and International Business.
Through the Distinguished Speakers Series, Franciscan University of Steubenville hosts leaders who integrate their faith and public life and who inspire the next generation to be a transforming presence in the Church and society.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://www.franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Leadership, Chris Lowney, St. Ignatius, Franciscan University, J.P. Morgan & Co., Leadership
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- The CatholicTV Network Announces Programming in Honor of the Celestine Year
- Religious Educators Learn How to Keep Christ at the Heart of the New Evangelization
- Fifth Centenary Celebration Unifies Faithful through Spirituality, Technology and Music
- Media Advisory: Messenger of the Truth documentary to air in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara
- Provocative music-driven love story to contend in year of faith films
- Youth Conference Brings Teens 'Face to Face' With God
- The CatholicTV Network Honors National NFP Awareness Week
- Leading Catholic Church law judge and bishops support Catholics faithful to spouses after divorce
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater L.A. Announces Catholic Coalition Partnership, Inaugural Build Event
- Liguori Publications Buys Franciscan Media’s Parish Resources