Pope Francis Offers the Joy of the Gospel in a Stunningly Beautiful Apostolic Exhortation
I invite all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ, or at least an openness to letting him encounter them; I ask all of you to do this unfailingly each day. No one should think that this invitation is not meant for him or her, since "no one is excluded from the joy brought by the Lord". The Lord does not disappoint those who take this risk; whenever we take a step towards Jesus, we come to realize that he is already there, waiting for us with open arms. (Pope Francis)
P>VATICAN CITY (Catholic Online) - It will take your breath away in its evangelical fervor, spiritual insight, beauty, profound theology and depth of insight. Officially released this morning, the first Apostolic Exhortation written by Pope Francis is entitled The Joy of the Gospel and it will send shockwaves of the Holy Spirit when its impact is fully experienced.
The Exhortation was offered to the faithful on the Feast of Christ the King when Francis symbolically handed it to a Bishop, a Priest, a Deacon and a Lay leader in a public gesture. As with everything he does, he was, in those words attributed to his namesake, Francis of Assisi, "preaching the gospel at all times and when necessary using words". The symbolic gesture indicated what this extraordinary exhortation, already being hailed as the manifesto of this Pope, confirms - this exhortation contains the marching orders for a new missionary age of the Church in the Third Millennium.
I will spend the Thanksgiving break praying through this beautiful gift to the whole Church.I suggest all of my readers do the same. The Exhortation is 224 pages along, including a wonderful topical index, available at the beginning or the end, depending on the version. It is made for prayerful meditation as well as deep, continual study. A review of it this morning brought me to tears and made me grateful to be alive in this age. However, it is more than a piece for reflection, it is a manifesto for action, a call to mission, and a blueprint.
You can print the apostolic exhortation off for yourself in HTML format here.Or, in PDF format here.I strongly advise every one of my readers to do so, immediately. Put it in a three ring binder and let it rock your world.
It will make for wonderful Thanksgiving reflective prayer and reading. It will also lend itself to resolutions as the new Church year, as well as the new secular year, both begin. It will soon be available in book format from several great sources. DO NOT WAIT! You will want to read this immediately - and prayerfully.Then, you will want to begin to live it. You will also want it with you for continual reference next to where you pray.That is when the paperback version will be especially useful. Get those highlighters ready! I end with a short quote from the exhortation:
Beginning of the Joy of the Gospel by Pope Francis
1. THE JOY OF THE GOSPEL fills the hearts and lives of all who encounter Jesus. Those who accept his offer of salvation are set free from sin, sorrow, inner emptiness and loneliness. With Christ joy is constantly born anew. In this Exhortation I wish to encourage the Christian faithful to embark upon a new chapter of evangelization marked by this joy, while pointing out new paths for the Church's journey in years to come.
I. A JOY EVER NEW, A JOY WHICH IS SHARED
2. The great danger in today's world, pervaded as it is by consumerism, is the desolation and anguish born of a complacent yet covetous heart, the feverish pursuit of frivolous pleasures, and a blunted conscience. Whenever our interior life becomes caught up in its own interests and concerns, there is no longer room for others, no place for the poor. God's voice is no longer heard, the quiet joy of his love is no longer felt, and the desire to do good fades. This is a very real danger for believers too. Many fall prey to it, and end up resentful, angry and listless. That is no way to live a dignified and fulfilled life; it is not God's will for us, nor is it the life in the Spirit which has its source in the heart of the risen Christ.
3. I invite all Christians, everywhere, at this very moment, to a renewed personal encounter with Jesus Christ, or at least an openness to letting him encounter them; I ask all of you to do this unfailingly each day. No one should think that this invitation is not meant for him or her, since "no one is excluded from the joy brought by the Lord". The Lord does not disappoint those who take this risk; whenever we take a step towards Jesus, we come to realize that he is already there, waiting for us with open arms.
Now is the time to say to Jesus: "Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love, yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you. I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace". How good it feels to come back to him whenever we are lost! Let me say this once more: God never tires of forgiving us; we are the ones who tire of seeking his mercy. Christ, who told us to forgive one another "seventy times seven" (Mt 18:22) has given us his example: he has forgiven us seventy times seven.
Time and time again he bears us on his shoulders. No one can strip us of the dignity bestowed upon us by this boundless and unfailing love. With a tenderness which never disappoints, but is always capable of restoring our joy, he makes it possible for us to lift up our heads and to start anew. Let us not flee from the resurrection of Jesus, let us never give up, come what will. May nothing inspire more than his life, which impels us onwards!...
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JULY 2017
Lapsed Christians. That our brothers and sisters who have strayed from the faith, through our prayer and witness to the Gospel, may rediscover the merciful closeness of the Lord and the beauty of the Christian life.
A gruesome report out of Germany reveals at least 547 boys were sexually abused by a clerical pedophile ring at a 1,000-year-old German ... continue reading
French President Emmanuel Macron has been under attack for identifying Africa's development issue as a problem of overpopulation, ignoring ... continue reading
An ultra-realistic sex doll has been made available at a brothel in Dublin, Ireland for men to rent. The doll is the next step in the ... continue reading
Read the Full Text of the Papal Letter to Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany, ahead of the G 20 Summit Watch
Pope Francis has sent a letter to Angela Merkel, the Chancellor of Germany, ahead of the G-20 Summit. Here is the full text of his letter. ... continue reading
Scandal has come to the Vatican once again as Vatican police announce a raid on a high official's apartment where intoxicated men were ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Family receives shocking MIRACLE after 9-month-pregnant woman is shot ...
- Daily Readings for Friday, July 21, 2017
- St. Lawrence of Brindisi: Saint of the Day for Friday, July 21, 2017
- Did the Church just marry three women to the same spouse in Detroit ...
- Deadbeat Republicans, do your job or GET OUT! HD Video
- Cardinal Muller reports Pope Emeritus Benedict is 'disappointed' at ...
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 22nd, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Friday, July 21st, 2017 HD
- Why is Facebook censoring Catholic content? HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, July 20th, 2017 HD
- The one nasty reason you can't take your kids to the park anymore HD