Skip to content

Vatican suspends Franciscan Connected to Medjugorje

By
9/12/2008 (9 years ago)
The Catholic Herald (UK) (www.catholicherald.co.uk/)

The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) has written to Bishop Ratko Peric of Mostar-Duvno, whose diocese covers Medjugorje, to inform him that they are investigating the case of Franciscan Fr Tomislav Vlasic.

Highlights

By
The Catholic Herald (UK) (www.catholicherald.co.uk/)
9/12/2008 (9 years ago)

Published in Europe


LONDON (UK Catholic Herald) - The Vatican has authorized "severe cautionary and disciplinary measures" against a priest who once served as "spiritual leader" to the visionaries in Medjugorje, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) has written to Bishop Ratko Peric of Mostar-Duvno, whose diocese covers Medjugorje, to inform him that they are investigating the case of Franciscan Fr Tomislav Vlasic.

The CDF has asked the bishop, for the good of the faithful, to inform the community of the canonical status of the Bosnian priest, whose actions automatically provoked Vatican sanctions.

In a statement posted on the website of the Diocese of Mostar-Duvno, Bishop Peric explained that Fr Vlasic has been reported to the CDF "for the diffusion of dubious doctrine, manipulation of consciences, suspicious mysticism, disobedience toward legitimately issued orders", and accusations of sexual immorality.

The doctrinal congregation said in the letter, also posted on the website, that the priest had been disciplined after he stubbornly refused to cooperate with the inquiry, instead "justifying himself by citing his zealous activity" in initiating religious communities and building churches in the Medjugorje area.

A decree confirming action against Fr Vlasic was signed by Cardinal William Levada, prefect of the CDF, and Fr José Rodriguez Carballo, the minister general of the Order of Friars Minor, earlier this year.

It confined Fr Vlasic to a Franciscan monastery in Italy and banned him from contact with the Queen of Peace community, which he founded, or with his lawyers without permission from his superior.

He is banned from making public appearances, preaching and hearing confessions, and he will be required to make a solemn profession of the Catholic faith. The Vatican has warned Fr Vlasic that he will be excommunicated if he violates any of the prohibitions.

"Fr Vlasic is forewarned that, in the case of stubbornness, a juridical penal process will begin with the aim of still harsher sanctions, not excluding dismissal, having in mind the suspicion of heresy and schism, as well as scandalous acts contra sextum [against the Sixth Commandment] aggravated by mystical motivations," Bishop Peric wrote.

In Rome a Franciscan official told Catholic News Service that it is true that "disciplinary measures have been taken" against Fr Vlasic "but he is still a friar of our order; he has not been dismissed from the Franciscans or the clerical state".

Passionist Fr Ciro Benedettini, vice director of the Vatican press office, also confirmed the content of Bishop Peric's letter.

Fr Vlasic was a key figure in promoting the apparitions at the unofficial shrine in Medjugorje. In 1984 he wrote to Pope John Paul II to say that he was the one "who through divine providence guides the seers of Medjugorje".

Four years later he moved to Parma, Italy, where he set up the mixed Queen of Peace religious community dedicated to the Medjugorje apparitions.

Fr Vlasic is the second spiritual adviser to the visionaries to be suspended from his ministry. Bishop Peric confirmed the suspension of the faculties of the other priest, Fr Jozo Zovko, in 2004. The Medjugorje phenomenon began June 25 1981, when six children told a priest they had seen Mary on a hillside near their town. Since then, Mary is said to have appeared to the six more than 40,000 times and imparted hundreds of messages. But three Church commissions failed to find evidence to support their claims, and the bishops of the former Yugoslavia declared in 1991 that "it cannot be affirmed that these matters concern supernatural apparitions or revelations".

In 1985 Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger, then prefect of the CDF and now Pope Benedict XVI, banned official, diocesan or parish-sponsored pilgrimages to the shrine. However, individual Catholics are still free to visit and have a priest with them.

John Hanrahan, convenor of the Medjugorje Apostolate in England and Wales, said the CDF was investigating the entire ministry of Fr Vlasic and not just his involvement in Medjugorje.

He said: "Fr Vlasic was associated with Medjugorje at the beginning but we should not presume the final judgment of the Church [on Medjugorje]. We are being totally obedient on the matter of private pilgrimages."


Comments


More Europe

Terrorist at large! London attack injures 22, more attacks could happen Watch

Image of An injured woman is escorted away from the site of the attack where 22 people were injured.

Scotland Yard is searching for a terrorist who placed a bomb on a London commuter train this morning. The bomb did not detonate properly, ... continue reading


Letter from the Devil translated - written by possessed nun. Here's what it says Watch

Image of The cryptic letter was allegedly authored by the devil.

A supposed letter from the devil has been partially translated, more than 300 years after it was written. LOS ANGELES, CA (California ... continue reading


More bones of St. Peter found! Clue suggests relic of Our Lady is nearby too! Watch

Image of Inscriptions on the lid reveal the bones inside belong to Peter and three other popes.

Workers have uncovered lost bone fragments of St. Peter under a slab of marble in a medieval church in Rome. The bone fragments had been ... continue reading


Can you crack the code in this mysterious book? One expert says he's finally cracked the Voynich manuscript, and the solution is easier than you think Watch

Image of Until now, nobody could read this ancient manuscript. But one person thinks he's solved the riddle.

An expert claims he has cracked the meaning of the Voynich manuscript, which has baffled cryptographers for over a century. The 600-year ... continue reading


As terrorists attacked, one church opened its doors. Here's what happened next Watch

Image of The Basilica of Santa Maria del Pi.

During the terrorist attacks in Barcelona on August 17, hundreds of people fled the area and sought refuge where they could find it. Stores ... continue reading


Never Miss any Updates!

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers.

Catholic Online Logo

Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.