Build Bridges not Walls: Pope Francis calls for Christians to defeat evil with good
Pope Francis has appealed for people to build bridges not walls.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - During his weekly Wednesday audience at the Vatican, the Holy Father spoke out in reflection of young human trafficking victims, touching on the feast day of St. Josephine Bakhita, a Sudanese immigrant who became a nun.
"In the social and civil context as well, I appeal not to create walls but to build bridges...To not respond to evil with evil. To defeat evil with good, the offence with forgiveness. A Christian would never say 'you will pay for that.' Never," expressed Pope Francis. "That is not a Christian gesture. An offence you overcome with forgiveness. To live in peace with everyone."
Pope Francis often urges countries to openly welcome migrants, and he has previously stated that anyone who wants to build a wall is "not Christian."
During his audience, the Pontiff also asked for prayers for Myanmar's Muslim Rohingya ethnic minority facing discrimination in Buddhist-majority Myanmar.
"These are good people, peaceful people," Francis said. "They're not Christians, but they're good, our brothers and sisters. And they have been suffering for years. They've been tortured and killed, simply because they are continuing their traditions, their Muslim faith. Let us pray for them," he said.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for OCTOBER 2017
Workers and the Unemployed. That all workers may receive respect and protection of their rights, and that the unemployed may receive the opportunity to contribute to the common good.
by Catholic Online
- Church reviews possible Catholic hospital mega-merger
- Daily Readings for Monday, December 18, 2017
- Commission recommends Church end priestly celibacy and confession to ...
- Indonesia rejects law that would criminalize sex outside of marriage
- St. Rufus: Saint of the Day for Monday, December 18, 2017
- REJOICE! Gaudete Sunday Calls us to Live as Joyful Christians in All ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 19th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 18th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 17th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 16th, 2017 HD
- The Net Neutrality Scam: Get ready to pay a lot more for a lot less HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way