Build Bridges not Walls: Pope Francis calls for Christians to defeat evil with good
Pope Francis has appealed for people to build bridges not walls.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - During his weekly Wednesday audience at the Vatican, the Holy Father spoke out in reflection of young human trafficking victims, touching on the feast day of St. Josephine Bakhita, a Sudanese immigrant who became a nun.
"In the social and civil context as well, I appeal not to create walls but to build bridges...To not respond to evil with evil. To defeat evil with good, the offence with forgiveness. A Christian would never say 'you will pay for that.' Never," expressed Pope Francis. "That is not a Christian gesture. An offence you overcome with forgiveness. To live in peace with everyone."
Pope Francis often urges countries to openly welcome migrants, and he has previously stated that anyone who wants to build a wall is "not Christian."
During his audience, the Pontiff also asked for prayers for Myanmar's Muslim Rohingya ethnic minority facing discrimination in Buddhist-majority Myanmar.
"These are good people, peaceful people," Francis said. "They're not Christians, but they're good, our brothers and sisters. And they have been suffering for years. They've been tortured and killed, simply because they are continuing their traditions, their Muslim faith. Let us pray for them," he said.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for FEBRUARY 2017
Comfort for the Afflicted. That all those who are afflicted, especially the poor, refugees, and marginalized, may find welcome and comfort in our communities.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, February 28, 2017
- Your Daily Inspirational Meme: Faith Is Believing
- Who do YOU answer to? Californians prepare safe houses for illegal ...
- Pope Francis makes history by celebrating Christ alongside an ...
- Oarfish strandings in Philippines could mean massive quake coming HD ...
- Here are the answers to the Ash Wednesday quiz. How did you do?
- St. Hilary, Pope: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, February 28, 2017
- St. Dominic Savio HD
- Clinton contributor makes revealing 'life insurance' video over fear of assassination HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, February 27th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.