Build Bridges not Walls: Pope Francis calls for Christians to defeat evil with good
Pope Francis has appealed for people to build bridges not walls.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - During his weekly Wednesday audience at the Vatican, the Holy Father spoke out in reflection of young human trafficking victims, touching on the feast day of St. Josephine Bakhita, a Sudanese immigrant who became a nun.
"In the social and civil context as well, I appeal not to create walls but to build bridges...To not respond to evil with evil. To defeat evil with good, the offence with forgiveness. A Christian would never say 'you will pay for that.' Never," expressed Pope Francis. "That is not a Christian gesture. An offence you overcome with forgiveness. To live in peace with everyone."
Pope Francis often urges countries to openly welcome migrants, and he has previously stated that anyone who wants to build a wall is "not Christian."
During his audience, the Pontiff also asked for prayers for Myanmar's Muslim Rohingya ethnic minority facing discrimination in Buddhist-majority Myanmar.
"These are good people, peaceful people," Francis said. "They're not Christians, but they're good, our brothers and sisters. And they have been suffering for years. They've been tortured and killed, simply because they are continuing their traditions, their Muslim faith. Let us pray for them," he said.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
by Catholic Online
- 'Annabelle: Creation': Catholic Exorcist discusses power of hit ...
- St. Andrew the Scot: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 24th, 2017 HD Video
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian ...
- 'A Sign of the Times': A warning against 'expelling incoming ...
- Statue of St. Serra vandalized, are Christian crosses next?
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, August 22, 2017
- Jerry Lewis passes away at 91, was most proud of his family HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 HD
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug on her life support HD
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD