"Leap Forward" in the History of Salvation
VATICAN CITY, DEC. 23, 2004 (Zenit) - Here is a translation of John Paul II's address at Tuesday's general audience, which he dedicated to comment the mystery of Christmas.
* * *
1. During these days of preparation for Christmas we pray continually in the liturgy, "Come, Lord Jesus." It is like a refrain that surges from the heart of believers from all corners of the Earth and resounds incessantly in the prayer of the Church.
We have also invoked the coming of Christ a few moments ago with today's "O antiphon." The Messiah is invoked using some of the most beautiful titles found in sacred Scripture: "King of the Gentiles," "Hope of all nations," "Cornerstone uniting all peoples."
2. On Christmas we contemplate the great mystery of God becoming man in the Virgin's womb. He is born in Bethlehem to share our fragile human condition! He comes among us and brings salvation to the whole world. His mission will be to reunite all human beings and peoples in the one family of the children of God.
We can say that in the mystery of Christmas, we contemplate the "leap forward" in the history of salvation. To the human being, who with sin has distanced himself from the creator, is offered in Christ the gift of a new and fuller communion with him. Hope springs up in our hearts, and the gates of heaven are opened for us.
3. Dear brothers and sisters! May the celebration of Christmas be a propitious occasion to truly live the value and meaning of the great event of Jesus' birth. This is the wish that I express to all of you in this general audience, to your families and to your communities.
[At the end of the audience, a papal aide read the following summary in English:]
As we prepare for the feast of Christmas, we pray continually: "Come, Lord Jesus." It is like a refrain which rises from the hearts of believers in every corner of the earth. In today's "O antiphon" the Messiah is invoked using some of the most beautiful titles found in Sacred Scripture: "King of the Gentiles," "Hope of all nations," "Cornerstone uniting all peoples."
At Christmas, we contemplate the great mystery of God becoming man in the Virgin's womb so as to share our fragile human condition. He comes among us and brings salvation to the whole world. Although our sin has separated us from God, in Christ we are offered the gift of a new and fuller communion with him. Hope springs up in our hearts, and the gates of heaven are opened for us.
Dearly beloved Brothers and Sisters! The celebration of Christmas gives us an opportunity to live more profoundly the great event of the birth of Jesus. I pray that it may be so for all of you who are present at this general audience, and also for your families and the communities to which you belong.
I extend a special welcome to the English-speaking pilgrims here today, including groups from the United States of America. Upon all of you I invoke the grace and peace of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and I wish you many blessings during the holy season of Christmas.
http://www.catholic.org , VA
Pope John Paul II - Bishop of Rome, 661 869-1000
Pope, Christmas, Advent, Salvation,
More Catholic PRWire
Showing 1 - 50 of 4,718
A Recession Antidote
Monaco & The Vatican: Monaco's Grace Kelly Exhibit to Rome--A Review of Monegasque-Holy See Diplomatic History
Dna. Maria St. Catherine Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
A Royal Betrayal: Catholic Monaco Liberalizes Abortion
Dna. Maria St.Catherine De Grace Sharpe, t.o.s.m., T.O.SS.T.
Embrace every moment as sacred time
Mary Regina Morrell
Letting go is simple wisdom with divine potential
Mary Regina Morrell
Father Lombardi's Address on Catholic Media
Pope's Words to Pontifical Latin American College
Prelate: Genetics Needs a Conscience
State Aid for Catholic Schools: Help or Hindrance?
Scorsese Planning Movie on Japanese Martyrs
2 Nuns Kidnapped in Kenya Set Free
Holy See-Israel Negotiation Moves Forward
Franchising to Evangelize
Catholics Decry Anti-Christianity in Israel
Pope and Gordon Brown Meet About Development Aid
Pontiff Backs Latin America's Continental Mission
Cardinal Warns Against Anti-Catholic Education
Three words to a deeper faith
Relections for Lent 2009
Wisdom lies beyond the surface of life
Mary Regina Morrell
World Food Program Director on Lent
Pope's Lenten Message for 2009
Keeping a Lid on Permissiveness
Glimpse of Me
The 3 stages of life
Sex and the Married Woman
A Catholic Woman Returns to the Church
Modernity & Morality
Just a Minute
Catholic identity ... triumphant reemergence!
Edging God Out
Burying a St. Joseph Statue
George Bush Speaks on Papal Visit
Sometimes moving forward means moving the canoe
Mary Regina Morrell
Easter... A Way of Life
Papal initiative...peace and harmony!
Proclaim the mysteries of the Resurrection!
Jerusalem Patriarch's Easter Message
Good Friday Sermon of Father Cantalamessa
Papal Address at the End of the Way of the Cross
Cardinal Zen's Meditations for Via Crucis
Interview With Vatican Aide on Jewish-Catholic Relations
Pope Benedict XVI On the Easter Triduum
by Catholic Online
- St. Fabian: Saint of the Day for Saturday, January 20, 2018
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 22nd, 2018 HD Video
- Most Americans want abortion restricted, if not outlawed
- Science is transforming the pro-life debate for the better HD Video
- Daily Readings for Saturday, January 20, 2018
- 5 Things You Need To Know About 'Offering A Mass' For A Loved One
- Cardinal Dolan asks the faithful to pray against 'powers of darkness' ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, January 21st, 2018 HD
- Jobless claims are down - what does that mean for workers? HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, January 20th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education