"Quarantines" is an expression frequently used in the grants of indulgences, and signifies a strict ecclesiastical penance of forty days, performed according to the practice of the early Church. Hence an indulgence of seven quarantines, for instance, implies the remission of as much temporal punishment as would be blotted out by the corresponding amount of ecclesiastical penance.
More Volume: Q 37
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- The government shutdown continues, but bombs still drop, surveillance ...
- Third Mega-quake in three weeks suggests 2018 will be a bad year for ...
- Pope Francis in Peru invites us to be saints
- Is God sending a warning? Third megaquake in the year suggests 2018 ...
- St. Francis de Sales: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, January 24, 2018
- Daily Reading for Thursday, January 25th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, January 24, 2018
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, January 24th, 2018 HD
- The shocking numbers that reveal why poverty is here to stay HD
- Science is transforming the pro-life debate for the better HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 22nd, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education