Xavier Ehrenbert Fridelli
Jesuit missioner and cartographer, b. at Linz, Austria, 11 March, 1673; d. at Peking, 4 June, 1743. He entered the Society of Jesus in 1688 and in 1705 arrived in China. Fridelli was an important contributor to the cartographical survey of the Chinese empire, begun in 1708 and completed in 1718 (according to others, 1715). Baron Ricthofen says this is "the most comprehensive cartographic feat ever performed in so short a space of time (China, Berlin, 1877, I, 661, see 631 sq.). Together with Fathers Régis, Jartoux, and others, he designed the maps of Chi-li, the Amur district, Kahlkas ( Mongolia ), Sze-ch'wan, Yun-nan, Kwei-chou, and Hu-kwang (Hu-nan and Hu-pe), for which purpose the traversed the whole empire from south to north. At the time of his death Fridelli had been rector for many years of the Southern or Portuguese church (Nan-t'ang), one of the four Jesuit churches at Peking.
More Volume: X 6
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Thursday, January 19th, 2017 HD Video
- God works in mysterious ways - How the homeless brought together a ...
- Meth cook and devil worshiper attacks mother then leaves her for dead ...
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, January 18, 2017
- NASA to study and asteroid that may destroy the Earth -- without even ...
- Congressman John Lewis under attack for boycott lies and ...
- St. Volusian: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, January 18, 2017
- We Help Writers Become Authors. Get Your Free Christian Publishing Guide
- Hunt for Missing Flight MH370 Grinds to a Halt HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 HD
- St. Thomas Aquinas appears in abortionist's dream with powerful message HD
- World's richest 8 men own as much as 3.6 billion people HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.