Xavier Ehrenbert Fridelli
Jesuit missioner and cartographer, b. at Linz, Austria, 11 March, 1673; d. at Peking, 4 June, 1743. He entered the Society of Jesus in 1688 and in 1705 arrived in China. Fridelli was an important contributor to the cartographical survey of the Chinese empire, begun in 1708 and completed in 1718 (according to others, 1715). Baron Ricthofen says this is "the most comprehensive cartographic feat ever performed in so short a space of time (China, Berlin, 1877, I, 661, see 631 sq.). Together with Fathers Régis, Jartoux, and others, he designed the maps of Chi-li, the Amur district, Kahlkas ( Mongolia ), Sze-ch'wan, Yun-nan, Kwei-chou, and Hu-kwang (Hu-nan and Hu-pe), for which purpose the traversed the whole empire from south to north. At the time of his death Fridelli had been rector for many years of the Southern or Portuguese church (Nan-t'ang), one of the four Jesuit churches at Peking.
More Volume: X 6
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Thursday, December 14th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis wants to change the Lord's Prayer, but what do the new ...
- How does the Vatican fight money laundering?
- Here's when you'll see the first self-driving trucks on the road
- Is Facebook ripping apart human civilization? HD Video
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, December 13, 2017
- St. Lucy: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, December 13, 2017
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, December 13th, 2017 HD
- Attempted terror attack fails in Manhattan as pipe bomb explodes early HD
- Here's how Pope Francis wants to change the Lords Prayer HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way