Xavier Ehrenbert Fridelli
Jesuit missioner and cartographer, b. at Linz, Austria, 11 March, 1673; d. at Peking, 4 June, 1743. He entered the Society of Jesus in 1688 and in 1705 arrived in China. Fridelli was an important contributor to the cartographical survey of the Chinese empire, begun in 1708 and completed in 1718 (according to others, 1715). Baron Ricthofen says this is "the most comprehensive cartographic feat ever performed in so short a space of time (China, Berlin, 1877, I, 661, see 631 sq.). Together with Fathers Régis, Jartoux, and others, he designed the maps of Chi-li, the Amur district, Kahlkas ( Mongolia ), Sze-ch'wan, Yun-nan, Kwei-chou, and Hu-kwang (Hu-nan and Hu-pe), for which purpose the traversed the whole empire from south to north. At the time of his death Fridelli had been rector for many years of the Southern or Portuguese church (Nan-t'ang), one of the four Jesuit churches at Peking.
More Volume: X 6
Click/Touch the sub-volume below to view encyclopedia articles within the sub-volume.
by Catholic Online
- U.S. drills for mass evacuation of Americans from South Korea, but ...
- Virgin Mary appears to Hindu schoolchildren in India, miracles ...
- Daily Readings for Tuesday, October 17, 2017
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, October 18th, 2017 HD Video
- St. Ignatius of Antioch: Saint of the Day for Tuesday, October 17, 2017
- Sorry, there's no science to support 'transgender therapy' for kids
- Martin Luther would be horrified - The reformer had no intention of ...
- Intro to Novena to the Saints in Heaven for the saints on earth HD
- Trump ends taxpayer giveaway to insurance companies HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, October 17th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, October 16th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way