Must Morality Be Grounded in God?
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (March 22, 2013) - Must morality be grounded in God? This ancient question has resurfaced in the debates of both contemporary atheists and Christian philosophers. Some say that naturalistic—“be a good person without religion”—morality is enough; others, with Dostoevsky, argue that “if God does not exist then everything is allowed.”
On April 5-6, this compelling subject will be discussed at Franciscan University of Steubenville in a conference sponsored by the University’s Graduate Philosophy Program.
Plenary speakers include John Rist, the Father Kurt Pritzl, OP, Chair in Philosophy of Catholic University of America, who has written extensively on this topic. In particular, his book, Real Ethics: Reconsidering the Foundations of Morality (2001), and article, “Morality and Religion: Some Questions About First Principles” (Philosophical Investigations, 2011), have grappled with the difficult aspects of human morality.
Also presenting will be Mark Murphy, the McDevitt Chair of Religious Philosophy at Georgetown University; and Christopher Tollefsen, director of Graduate Studies at the University of South Carolina.
Cost of registration is $65, or $75 for on-site. Registration is free for all Franciscan University of Steubenville faculty, staff, students, and alumni, as well as those who are presenting at this event. Additionally, the optional meal plan is $65 when pre-registered, or $75 for on-site. The conference begins at 9 a.m. on Friday, April 5, and ends at 9 p.m. on Saturday, April 6.
For more information or to register, please visit www.franciscan.edu/MoralityGroundedinGod, or contact Dr. John Crosby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, Catholic philosophy, morality, graduate philosophy
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- The CatholicTV Network Announces Programming in Honor of the Celestine Year
- Religious Educators Learn How to Keep Christ at the Heart of the New Evangelization
- Fifth Centenary Celebration Unifies Faithful through Spirituality, Technology and Music
- Media Advisory: Messenger of the Truth documentary to air in Los Angeles and Santa Barbara
- Provocative music-driven love story to contend in year of faith films
- Youth Conference Brings Teens 'Face to Face' With God
- The CatholicTV Network Honors National NFP Awareness Week
- Leading Catholic Church law judge and bishops support Catholics faithful to spouses after divorce
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater L.A. Announces Catholic Coalition Partnership, Inaugural Build Event
- Liguori Publications Buys Franciscan Media’s Parish Resources