Must Morality Be Grounded in God?
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
STEUBENVILLE, OH (March 22, 2013) - Must morality be grounded in God? This ancient question has resurfaced in the debates of both contemporary atheists and Christian philosophers. Some say that naturalistic--"be a good person without religion"--morality is enough; others, with Dostoevsky, argue that "if God does not exist then everything is allowed."
On April 5-6, this compelling subject will be discussed at Franciscan University of Steubenville in a conference sponsored by the University's Graduate Philosophy Program.
Plenary speakers include John Rist, the Father Kurt Pritzl, OP, Chair in Philosophy of Catholic University of America, who has written extensively on this topic. In particular, his book, Real Ethics: Reconsidering the Foundations of Morality (2001), and article, "Morality and Religion: Some Questions About First Principles" (Philosophical Investigations, 2011), have grappled with the difficult aspects of human morality.
Also presenting will be Mark Murphy, the McDevitt Chair of Religious Philosophy at Georgetown University; and Christopher Tollefsen, director of Graduate Studies at the University of South Carolina.
Cost of registration is $65, or $75 for on-site. Registration is free for all Franciscan University of Steubenville faculty, staff, students, and alumni, as well as those who are presenting at this event. Additionally, the optional meal plan is $65 when pre-registered, or $75 for on-site. The conference begins at 9 a.m. on Friday, April 5, and ends at 9 p.m. on Saturday, April 6.
For more information or to register, please visit www.franciscan.edu/MoralityGroundedinGod, or contact Dr. John Crosby at email@example.com.
Franciscan University of Steubenville
http://franciscan.edu OH, 43952 US
Tom Sofio - Associate Director of Public Relations,
Franciscan University of Steubenville, Catholic philosophy, morality, graduate philosophy
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Who's responsible for designing the designer?
- Thu, Jun 11, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Bill Adams at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church
- Your search for true happiness is over
- ValLimar Jansen's latest album "a soulful experience"
- Uncovering the roots (and branches) of the greatest revolution in the American Catholic Church
- NYC May 8, 2015 Spring Fling Catholic Singles Mingle Fundraiser
- Thank A Nun Day
- #TweetingwGod dares young people to believe
- Experience Beloved: Finding happiness in marriage
- Archbishop Aquila, Dr. Edward Sri and other experts to participate in 'Beloved' telepress conference