Jesuits and the Sciences at Georgetown University
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
WASHINGTON, D.C. (September 6, 2011) - "Jesuits and the Sciences at Georgetown University" is a series of three events exploring the history of Jesuit engagement with the sciences and some challenging questions scientific advancement presents to humanity in the near future. As the University continues the construction of its new science building to house a unique collaboration between Physics, Chemistry and Biology Departments, these symposia bring faculty and students together to reflect on the significance of the Sciences in the context of a Catholic/Jesuit University.
All three will take place in Lohrfink Auditorium (McDonough School of Business Rafik B. Hariri Building) from 5:00-7:00PM. It is hoped that faculty in the humanities and the sciences and their students would attend one or more of these sessions.
SEPT 14 (Wednesday): BEFORE THERE WAS A GEORGETOWN: JESUITS AND THE SCIENCES
- John O'Malley, SJ; Georgetown University, Theology Department
- Mordecai Feingold; Professor of History, California Institute of Technology
SEPT 19 (Monday): AFTER HUMANS: BLACK HOLES AND TEILHARD DE CHARDIN
- John C. Haughey, SJ; Woodstock Theological Center, Senior Fellow
- Ilia Delio, OSF; Woodstock Theological Center, Senior Fellow
SEPT 28 (Wednesday): WHAT DIFFERENT JESUIT SCIENTISTS DO DIFFERENTLY
- John Braverman, SJ; St. Joseph's University, Department of Biology
- Cyril P. Opeil, SJ; Boston College, Department of Physics
- Kevin Fitzgerald, SJ; Georgetown University, Biochemistry/Pharmacology Dept.
Woodstock Theological Center
http://www.georgetown.edu/ DC, 20057 US
R. M. Keelan Downton - Public Relations and Communications Specialist,
Catholic Schools & Religious Education
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Catholic PrWire
- Who's responsible for designing the designer?
- Thu, Jun 11, 2015- Mass & Healing Service with Fr. Bill Adams at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church
- Your search for true happiness is over
- ValLimar Jansen's latest album "a soulful experience"
- Uncovering the roots (and branches) of the greatest revolution in the American Catholic Church
- NYC May 8, 2015 Spring Fling Catholic Singles Mingle Fundraiser
- Thank A Nun Day
- #TweetingwGod dares young people to believe
- Experience Beloved: Finding happiness in marriage
- Archbishop Aquila, Dr. Edward Sri and other experts to participate in 'Beloved' telepress conference