Man loses all four limbs to flesh-eating bacteria
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
6/27/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
What was believed to have been a simple cold actually turned out to be a flesh-eating bacterial infection which has robbed one British man of all four of his limbs.
A British man has lost all four of his limbs after a common cold developed into a rare flesh-eating bacteria.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Alex Lewis had his right arm amputated on June 25 after he broke it in three places the previous Friday.
End hunger through "prayer and action".
The 34-year-old developed septicaemia and toxic shock syndrome in November from a usually harmless Group A streptococcus infection.
The father-of-one called this terrible development a "minor setback" on Facebook the night before his operation.
"All of you make this minor setback a walk in the park, excuse the pun, with all your support," he said. "I continue to feel humbled every day and I still can't thank everyone enough for what they have done and what they are about to do..."
Lewis has beaten the odds thus far, surviving the 3% odds that doctors gave him after he fell into a coma due to his organs shutting down when he first underwent medical care back in November.
Surgeons worked for 16 hours to save his right arm, but Lewis lost both his legs, left arm, lips and part of his nose.
He now faces another six weeks in the hospital, during which time he will have reconstructive surgery on his lips.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for OCTOBER 2017
Workers and the Unemployed. That all workers may receive respect and protection of their rights, and that the unemployed may receive the opportunity to contribute to the common good.
An Australian man whose friends call him 'Dr. Death,' has invented a 3D printable suicide machine. LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) - ... continue reading
What does it feel like to die? This is a question that everyone has, but few people can answer. Now, a growing body of scientific and ... continue reading
In 2013, Beyonce Knowles topped GQ's list of "The 100 Hottest Women of the 21st Century." San Francisco, CA (CNA/EWTN News) - That same ... continue reading
Aspirin may help people avoid many cancers, according to a study of 600,000 people performed in China. LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) ... continue reading
The next global outbreak has arrived. Plague is spreading across Africa and is one flight away from going global as experts warn 'something is different' Watch
Millions of people around the world, including you, are in danger, but few people know it. However, experts from the World Health ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Indonesia rejects law that would criminalize sex outside of marriage
- Church reviews possible Catholic hospital mega-merger
- St. Ado of Vienne: Saint of the Day for Saturday, December 16, 2017
- Daily Readings for Saturday, December 16, 2017
- Commission recommends Church end priestly celibacy and confession to ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 19th, 2017 HD Video
- Australia asks Church to end celibacy and confession to fight child ...
- Las Posadas - a Catholic Hispanic Tradition
- NO, you may NOT venerate the apparitions in Medjugorje
- 7 powerful morning prayers you need to get your day started with God
- Pope Francis wants to change two major Catholic laws he sees as ...
- 14 years later: Extreme and horrific child abuse victim, Lauren ...
- Daily Reading for Monday, December 18th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, December 17th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, December 16th, 2017 HD
- The Net Neutrality Scam: Get ready to pay a lot more for a lot less HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way