Man loses all four limbs to flesh-eating bacteria
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
6/27/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
What was believed to have been a simple cold actually turned out to be a flesh-eating bacterial infection which has robbed one British man of all four of his limbs.
A British man has lost all four of his limbs after a common cold developed into a rare flesh-eating bacteria.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Alex Lewis had his right arm amputated on June 25 after he broke it in three places the previous Friday.
End hunger through "prayer and action".
The 34-year-old developed septicaemia and toxic shock syndrome in November from a usually harmless Group A streptococcus infection.
The father-of-one called this terrible development a "minor setback" on Facebook the night before his operation.
"All of you make this minor setback a walk in the park, excuse the pun, with all your support," he said. "I continue to feel humbled every day and I still can't thank everyone enough for what they have done and what they are about to do..."
Lewis has beaten the odds thus far, surviving the 3% odds that doctors gave him after he fell into a coma due to his organs shutting down when he first underwent medical care back in November.
Surgeons worked for 16 hours to save his right arm, but Lewis lost both his legs, left arm, lips and part of his nose.
He now faces another six weeks in the hospital, during which time he will have reconstructive surgery on his lips.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
A study performed at Harvard reveals the anatomy of America's massive opioid epidemic, and it is every bit as evil and insidious as one can ... continue reading
Doctors are close to discovering a real life fountain of youth that could theoretically enable patients to live forever. Advances in stem ... continue reading
You have the flu, you just don't know it yet. And inside one cell of your body, the virus is mutating into something terrible. LOS ANGELES, ... continue reading
A 23-year old man living in Britain has opted for his third sex change. LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) -- A 23-year old man in ... continue reading
Last week, CNN featured Dr. Richard Gallagher in a story about demonic possession. Gallagher is one of a growing number of secular mental ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- New research shows global warming is not your fault. Here's why
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Trump announces new Afghan strategy - do we get to win this time? HD ...
- Does the Aug 21 eclipse spell doom for humanity? HD Video
- St. Philip Benizi: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, August 23, 2017
- Cultured meats coming to a store near you in 2018
- Here are four martyrs who died, protecting the seal of confession
- Daily Reading for Thursday, August 24th, 2017 HD
- 10 US Sailors missing after serious collision in Southeast Asian waters HD
- Jerry Lewis passes away at 91, was most proud of his family HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, August 23rd, 2017 HD