Ave Maria University Officially Recognized as a 'Catholic University'
The entire Ave Maria University community should be encouraged and inspired by its new designation
The recognition of Ave Maria University as a Catholic University recognizes their commitment to continue to be guided by the teachings of the Catholic Church and faithfulness to the Apostolic Constitution Ex Corde Ecclesiae. It is the responsibility of the local Bishop to provide pastoral care to the University community, as stated in Ex Corde Ecclesiae.
AVE MARIA, FL (Catholic Online) - Today, Most Reverend Frank J. Dewane, Bishop of the Diocese of Venice in Florida, made perhaps the most significant announcement in the history of Ave Maria University. During the investiture ceremony for new Ave Maria University President H. James Towey, Bishop Dewane announced that he grants recognition of Ave Maria University as a Catholic University.
Bishop Dewane commented, "This announcement marks a special time in the history and faith life of Ave Maria University. While the University continues to grow, it is the deepening of its roots of faith that is of primary importance to me as the Bishop of this Diocese. The Catholic Church views Catholic Universities in very high regard, and with that the entire Ave Maria University community should be encouraged and inspired by its new designation."
Ave Maria President Jim Towey expressed appreciation and joy upon hearing the news. "I am grateful to Bishop Dewane for his confidence in our future and thankful for Tom Monaghan and all those who built the foundation that made this announcement possible. This recognition means a lot to us as we continue on the path toward new excellence," said Towey.
Bishop Dewane also took time out to congratulate President Towey as he enters into this new phase of leadership, which will move Ave Maria University into a bright future. Bishop also thanked Thomas S. Monaghan, founder of Ave Maria University, for his forthright commitment to Catholic education and his Catholic Faith. His leadership and vision brought the monumental undertaking of building a Catholic University in Southwest Florida to where it stands today.
The Code of Canon Law regulates the establishment and conduct of a Catholic University by the competent ecclesiastical authority, which in this case is Bishop Dewane. The recognition of Ave Maria University as a Catholic University is granted upon their commitment to continue to be guided by the teachings of the Catholic Church and faithfulness to the Apostolic Constitution Ex Corde Ecclesiae. First and foremost, it is the responsibility of the local Bishop to provide pastoral care to the University community, as stated in Ex Corde Ecclesiae.
Bishop Dewane has served as an ex officio member of the Ave Maria University Board of Trustees since 2009. Ave Maria University was founded in 2003. The Quasi-Parish of Ave Maria Oratory was established in 2008.
For more information please contact Billy Atwell at 941-486-4702 or email@example.com, or contact Dawn Montecalvo, Montecalvo, Woliver & Associates at 239-595-0846 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Ave Maria University, Most Reverend Frank J. Dewane, Diocese of Venice, President Jim Towey, Thomas S. Monaghan, Ex Corde Ecclesiae
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More College & University News
- UST Honors Student Sings Her Way to Grad School
- Archbishop Josť H. Gomez at Franciscan University: In this Time of Mission
- Brother and Sister Plant It Forward at UST
- UST's Macias Accepted to Thomistic Seminar
- UST's Taco Tasting Raises $35,000 for Scholarships
- Hattrup Dissertation Unanimously Passed at UST
- Learning Knows No Age for Grad
- UST Grad Speaker Highlights Leading with Faith, Character
- College Students: Promote Human Dignity, Boycott Study Abroad Programs in China
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?