'Noah' tops nation's box offices with $44 million take
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
4/1/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The new motion picture "Noah," much in the manner of the biblical epics of yore helmed by Cecil B. DeMille has captured the nation's hearts and minds. Starring Russell Crowe, "Noah" opened at the top of the U.S. box office this weekend with a $44 million take.
Based upon the Old Testament story of Noah's ark, the film is directed by "Black Swan's" Darren Aronofsky. "Noah" also stars Jennifer Connolly and Emma Watson.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Based upon the Old Testament story of Noah's ark, the film is directed by "Black Swan's" Darren Aronofsky. "Noah" also stars Jennifer Connolly and Emma Watson.
Other recent religious films, including "God's Not Dead" and "Son of God" have done surprisingly well at the nation's box offices. Other films with a religious theme include "Exodus" and "Heaven is Real."
It is better to light one tiny candle than to curse the darkness --
"I think these biblical-themed movies are like the next frontier in Hollywood," Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for box office tracker Rentrak says. "Hollywood hadn't cracked the code on a biblical movie that would have mainstream appeal. Now, I think they've figured it out," he added.
Number two on the box office chart was the teen science-fiction thriller "Divergent," starring Shailene Woodley and Kate Winslet. "Divergent" took $26.6 million in its second week of release.
"Muppets Most Wanted," also in its second week, took third spot with $11.4 million.
The animation films "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" and "God's Not Dead," about a Christian college student whose faith is challenged by his atheist philosophy professor rounded out the top five.
The weekend was something of a disappointment for action star stalwart Arnold Schwarzenegger. His second-highest new entry "Sabotage" could only manage takings of $5.3 million.
This coming weekend sees the release of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" in the U.S. and Canada. Internationally, "Captain America" more than doubled "Noah's" takings at the international box office this weekend raking in $75.2 million, while "Noah" picked up $33.6 million.
The top ten at the nation's box office's this past weekend went like this:
1. "Noah" - $44 million
2. "Divergent" - $26.5 million
3. "Muppets Most Wanted" - $11.4 million
4. "Mr. Peabody and Sherman - $9.5 million
5. "God's Not Dead" - $9 million
6. "The Grand Budapest Hotel" - $8.8 million
7. "Sabotage" - $5.3 million
8. "Need for Speed" - $4.3 million
9. "300: Rise Of an Empire" - $4.3 million
10. "Non-Stop" - $4 million
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
What children read, what they see on the screen, can inspire them toward greater faithfulness. Conversely, Father Robert warns, it can lead ... continue reading
Ever felt like there is nothing worthwhile to watch? You might want to check out the Vatican's list of 'Some Important Films'.In 1995, Pope ... continue reading
Desperate to remain relevant and make money, the movie industry is preparing to release a smutty film about lesbian nuns with mystical ... continue reading
This summer some pretty amazing movies are going to hit theaters, so which ones are YOU excited about? LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading
From the Norbertines of St. Michael's Abbey and Chuck Kinnane, director of The Human Experience, Child 31, and Generation Hope, comes a new ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- St. Pius X: Saint of the Day for Monday, August 21, 2017
- Statue of St. Serra vandalized, are Christian crosses next?
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug ...
- 'Annabelle: Creation': Catholic Exorcist discusses power of hit ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, August 21, 2017
- 'A Sign of the Times': A warning against 'expelling incoming ...
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD Video
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 20th, 2017 HD
- Charlie Gard's mother opens up about the beautiful life of terminally ill Charlie HD