'Noah' tops nation's box offices with $44 million take
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
4/1/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The new motion picture "Noah," much in the manner of the biblical epics of yore helmed by Cecil B. DeMille has captured the nation's hearts and minds. Starring Russell Crowe, "Noah" opened at the top of the U.S. box office this weekend with a $44 million take.
Based upon the Old Testament story of Noah's ark, the film is directed by "Black Swan's" Darren Aronofsky. "Noah" also stars Jennifer Connolly and Emma Watson.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Based upon the Old Testament story of Noah's ark, the film is directed by "Black Swan's" Darren Aronofsky. "Noah" also stars Jennifer Connolly and Emma Watson.
Other recent religious films, including "God's Not Dead" and "Son of God" have done surprisingly well at the nation's box offices. Other films with a religious theme include "Exodus" and "Heaven is Real."
It is better to light one tiny candle than to curse the darkness --
"I think these biblical-themed movies are like the next frontier in Hollywood," Paul Dergarabedian, senior media analyst for box office tracker Rentrak says. "Hollywood hadn't cracked the code on a biblical movie that would have mainstream appeal. Now, I think they've figured it out," he added.
Number two on the box office chart was the teen science-fiction thriller "Divergent," starring Shailene Woodley and Kate Winslet. "Divergent" took $26.6 million in its second week of release.
"Muppets Most Wanted," also in its second week, took third spot with $11.4 million.
The animation films "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" and "God's Not Dead," about a Christian college student whose faith is challenged by his atheist philosophy professor rounded out the top five.
The weekend was something of a disappointment for action star stalwart Arnold Schwarzenegger. His second-highest new entry "Sabotage" could only manage takings of $5.3 million.
This coming weekend sees the release of "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" in the U.S. and Canada. Internationally, "Captain America" more than doubled "Noah's" takings at the international box office this weekend raking in $75.2 million, while "Noah" picked up $33.6 million.
The top ten at the nation's box office's this past weekend went like this:
1. "Noah" - $44 million
2. "Divergent" - $26.5 million
3. "Muppets Most Wanted" - $11.4 million
4. "Mr. Peabody and Sherman - $9.5 million
5. "God's Not Dead" - $9 million
6. "The Grand Budapest Hotel" - $8.8 million
7. "Sabotage" - $5.3 million
8. "Need for Speed" - $4.3 million
9. "300: Rise Of an Empire" - $4.3 million
10. "Non-Stop" - $4 million
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for MARCH 2017
Support for Persecuted Christians. That persecuted Christians may be supported by the prayers and material help of the whole Church.
Disney's remake of "Beauty and the Beast" is turning heads for its amazing cast, classic story and, more notoriously, its use of Disney's ... continue reading
Without having witnessed a single film trailer, or reading the book upon which it is based, I set out to watch "The Shack." What I ... continue reading
Steven Spielberg, best known for directing films such as "Jaws," the "Indiana Jones" films and "Schindler's List," is working on a new film ... continue reading
Golden Globes 2017: Did any Catholic-based films make the cut? Check out the complete list of nominees here Watch
The 74th Golden Globe Awards nominees are finally in! LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The Golden Globe awards will be hosted by Jimmy ... continue reading
Pope Francis welcomed Oscar-winning film director Martin Scorses and his family to the Vatican Wednesday to discuss "Silence," a film ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis recognizes second miracle to Francisco and Jacinta ...
- Pope Francis speaks out following the chaos in Westminster
- Daily Reading for Friday, March 24th, 2017 HD Video
- Neil Gorsuch and end-of-life care: What ethical stance does he take?
- Adorable girl captured stealing Pope Francis' hat in hilarious ...
- St. Toribio Alfonso de Mogrovejo: Saint of the Day for Thursday, ...
- Daily Readings for Thursday, March 23, 2017
- Supreme court nominee faces tough questions on religious freedom during confirmation hearings HD
- Christ's tomb reveals surprise after restoration HD
- Peruvian woman miraculously survives deadly mudslide HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, March 23rd, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.