'Fast & Furious 6' biggest opening film in Universal Studios' history
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
5/28/2013 (4 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The sixth installment in the popular action-adventure series, "Fast & Furious 6" was way ahead in the movie pack this past Memorial Day weekend, becoming Universal Studios' biggest opening film to date. Starring Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnston, "6" grossed a substantial $120 million, the second-biggest film opening of the year behind Disney's "Iron Man 3's" $175.3 million earlier this month.
"Fast & Furious 6" rang up an estimated $300 million at the global box office. Besting its predecessor in the series, "Fast Five," the previous entry held the title of best opening for the studio with $83.6 million at domestic theaters.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Adding to its bankability, "Fast & Furious 6" rang up an estimated $300 million at the global box office. Besting its predecessor in the series, "Fast Five," the previous entry held the title of best opening for the studio with $83.6 million at domestic theaters.
"The Hangover Part III," the third and final installment in the raunchy comedy series about four men trying to piece together the events of a wild night, was left relatively in the dust this weekend. Starring Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis and Ed Helms, the third installment grossed an estimated $51.2 million at the U.S. and Canada box office.
The film also opened in its first three international markets over the weekend - United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand - grossing $19 million, bringing the total in the markets where it is showing to an estimated $70.2 million.
"Some might argue that we should have stopped at one, but we loved doing these movies and the audience has been there" for them, Todd Philips, the director of the "Hangover" franchise said. "The word 'hangover' . is something that people share around the world. There are some comedies that are uniquely American, but hangovers exist for the world," he added.
"Star Trek Into Darkness," playing in 3D and Imax theaters, came in at No. 3 at the domestic box office with $47 million from Friday to Monday, bringing its cumulative total to $155.8 million since opening on May 17.
In fourth place was the animated family film "Epic," about a secret world in which nature's inhabitants come together to fight evil forces grossed an estimated $42.6 million domestically over the Memorial Day weekend.
The Top Ten at the nation's box offices this past Memorial Day Weekend was:
1. "Fast & Furious 6," $98.5 million
2. "The Hangover Part III," $54.2 million
3. "Star Trek Into Darkness," $38 million. Total: $146.8m
4. "Epic," $34.2 million.
5. "Iron Man 3," $19.4m. Total: $367.5 million.
6. "The Great Gatsby," $13.7m. Total: $114.4 million.
7. "Mud," $1.9 million. Total: $14.6 million.
8. "42," $1.25 million. Total: $91 million.
9. "The Croods," $1.22 million. Total: $179.2 million.
10. "Oblivion," $815,000. Total: $87.3 million.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for SEPTEMBER 2017
Parishes. That our parishes, animated by a missionary spirit, may be places where faith is communicated and charity is seen.
What children read, what they see on the screen, can inspire them toward greater faithfulness. Conversely, Father Robert warns, it can lead ... continue reading
Ever felt like there is nothing worthwhile to watch? You might want to check out the Vatican's list of 'Some Important Films'.In 1995, Pope ... continue reading
Desperate to remain relevant and make money, the movie industry is preparing to release a smutty film about lesbian nuns with mystical ... continue reading
This summer some pretty amazing movies are going to hit theaters, so which ones are YOU excited about? LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading
From the Norbertines of St. Michael's Abbey and Chuck Kinnane, director of The Human Experience, Child 31, and Generation Hope, comes a new ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Saturday, September 23, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, September 25th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, September 26th, 2017 HD Video
- It's time to regulate Facebook and other social media
- St. Padre Pio: Saint of the Day for Saturday, September 23, 2017
- North Korea threatens to test H-Bomb over Pacific
- At UN, the Vatican asks all nations to help in fight against human ...
- Woman photographs angel in flight, is it here to deliver a message? HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, September 24th, 2017 HD
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD