Daily Reading for Wednesday, October 4th, 2017
Daily Reading for Wednesday October 4, 2017
Reading 1, Nehemiah 2:1-8 Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6 Gospel, Luke 9:57-62
Reading 1, Nehemiah 2:1-8
1 In the month of Nisan, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, since I was in charge of the wine, I took the wine and offered it to the king. Now, he had never seen me looking depressed before.
2 So the king said to me, 'Why are you looking depressed? You are not sick! This must be a sadness of the heart.' Thoroughly alarmed by this,
3 I said to the king, 'May the king live for ever! How can I not look depressed when the city where the tombs of my ancestors are lies in ruins and its gates have been burnt down?'
4 The king then said to me, 'What would you like me to do?' Praying to the God of heaven,
5 I said to the king, 'If the king approves and your servant enjoys your favour, send me to Judah, to the city of the tombs of my ancestors, so that I can rebuild it.'
7 I then said to the king, 'If the king approves, may I be given orders for the governors of Transeuphrates to let me pass through on my way to Judah?
8 Also an order for Asaph, keeper of the king's forest, to supply me with timber for the beams of the gates of the citadel of the Temple, for the city walls and for the house which I am to occupy?' These the king granted me because the kindly hand of my God was over me.
I have the privilege - and the joy - of proclaiming the Bible readings for daily Mass to tens of thousands around the world. Lives are being changed by the power of the Word of God. The response has been overwhelming.
Your gift will help us produce these life changing Daily Readings for people worldwide.Sponsor Daily Readings
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6
1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept at the memory of Zion.
2 On the poplars there we had hung up our harps.
3 For there our gaolers had asked us to sing them a song, our captors to make merry, 'Sing us one of the songs of Zion.'
4 How could we sing a song of Yahweh on alien soil?
5 If I forget you, Jerusalem, may my right hand wither!
6 May my tongue remain stuck to my palate if I do not keep you in mind, if I do not count Jerusalem the greatest of my joys.
Gospel, Luke 9:57-62
58 Jesus answered, 'Foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of man has nowhere to lay his head.'
59 Another to whom he said, 'Follow me,' replied, 'Let me go and bury my father first.'
60 But he answered, 'Leave the dead to bury their dead; your duty is to go and spread the news of the kingdom of God.'
62 Jesus said to him, 'Once the hand is laid on the plough, no one who looks back is fit for the kingdom of God.'
Most Popular Bibles
Responsorial Psalm, Psalms 34:2-3, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15
Gospel, John 6:51-58
Reading 2, Ephesians 5:15-20
More Daily Readings
by Catholic Online
- St. John Eudes: Saint of the Day for Sunday, August 19, 2018
- Dinesh D' Souza Nails it in Death of a Nation
- Praying for Peace at the Pentagon
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 21st, 2018 HD Video
- Cardinal Burke: We face a grave crisis, touching the heart of the Church
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 20th, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Readings for Sunday, August 19, 2018
- Catholic Church issues new guidelines for cremation. Here's what you ...
- Pope Francis says atheists can do good and go to heaven too!
- Here are 10 Very Interesting Facts About the Catholic Church You ...
- A very brief history of priestly celibacy in the Catholic Church
- Science reveals Jesus' blood type, but is it a hoax, a coincidence, ...
- Prayer Requests Live for Friday, August 17th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 19th, 2018 HD
- Prayer Requests Live for Thursday, August 16th, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, August 18th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education