Dominican Sisters of Mary to Make Second Appearance on Oprah Winfrey Show
Vocations continue to 'pour in' for the Order
It seems the Holy Spirit is happily busy pointing a delighted finger to one of His thriving religious orders in the heart of the Catholic Church. The Sisters seem excited about Wednesday's taping, saying "it was beautifully done." Was it simply ratings that drew Oprah to invite the Sisters of Mary to a repeat appearance, or has a radiant Jesus captivated her through His glowing nuns? Through their call, the Sisters feel that wherever the Holy Spirit leads them is where there is the greatest need for their charism. The new show will air next week, November 23, 2010.
But happily, such concern was unfounded. It was a respectful, joyful report that revealed Christ and His Church to the whole world through our fresh-faced Sisters.
Later in the year, the Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist made news again. In the waning days of October they signed a contract to buy the JPII Cultural Center in Washington, DC, to be used as a House of Studies for the continuing education and formation of their Sisters. It seems the acquisition was just in time, as the vocations continue to "pour in" for the Order.
Through profession of the vows of chastity, poverty, and obedience, along with a contemplative emphasis on Eucharistic adoration and Marian devotion, their community exists for the salvation of souls and the building of the Church throughout the world. Their apostolate, as spiritual mothers, is the preaching and teaching of Truth, and it is burgeoning with fruit.
Through their call, the Sisters feel that wherever the Holy Spirit leads them is where there is the greatest need for their charism. Indeed, Washington is certainly one place where the truth, beauty and joy of the Catholic religious life of these Dominican Sisters will be like the freshness of springtime blowing away stagnant winter air.
Now it seems the Holy Spirit is happily busy pointing a delighted finger to one of His thriving religious orders in the heart of the Church, by thrusting them once again onto Oprah's world stage. Was it simply ratings that drew Oprah to invite the Sisters of Mary to a repeat appearance, or has a radiant Jesus captivated her through His glowing nuns?
One can only speculate, but the Sisters seem excited about Wednesday's taping, saying "it was beautifully done." Little do they know that we are all as excited as they, as one in Christ, we stand to applaud the Holy Spirit as He renews the face of the earth, even as we kneel and weep for its profound need. Set the TVO. The new show will air next week, November 23, 2010.
Sonja Corbitt is a Catholic speaker, Scripture teacher and study author, and a contributing writer for Catholic Online. Visit her at www.pursuingthesummit.com.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Vocations News
- Archbishop Josť H. Gomez on Praying for Priests and Promoting Vocations
- COL EXCLUSIVE: Fr. Pontifex - See what this priest does to deliver his powerful message
- Sisters of Bon Secours Host Project Good Help to Assist Underserved in Baltimore
- Benedictine Monks from Oklahoma Move to Ireland's Stamullen Priory
- Benedictine Monks from Oklahoma Become Missionaries to the Irish Church
- Knights of the Holy Eucharist Announce Facebook Page
- Child Casket Fund: Trappist Monks of New Melleray Practice the Corporal Works of Mercy
- Melkite Catholic Church to Ordain Married Men to the Priesthood in the US
- Trappist Monks and Nuns Revive Interest in Monastic Vocations Online
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?