Fr. Owen A. McGrath, CSP: Star Athlete Who Gave His Life to the Priesthood
Fr. Owen McGrath, CSP drew crowds to a higher arena
While athletes accepting religious vocations continue to make headlines, it really is nothing new. Consider the life of this Paulist priest who was ordained in 1908.The article reports on the ordination two days earlier of Fr. Owen A. McGrath, CSP, at New York's St. Patrick's Cathedral. It reports that Fr. McGrath was a "former quarterback on the Dartmouth football team, and also pitcher of the base-ball nine of the same institution."
We remember Fr. Owen McGrath, CSP in our prayers, along with all priests who have given their lives in service to Christ and his Church. We pray that many more men from all walks of life will follow in their footsteps.
James Penrice is the author of eight books, a correspondent for Catholic Athletes for Christ, and a contributor to Catholic Online.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Vocations News
- Archbishop Josť H. Gomez on Praying for Priests and Promoting Vocations
- COL EXCLUSIVE: Fr. Pontifex - See what this priest does to deliver his powerful message
- Sisters of Bon Secours Host Project Good Help to Assist Underserved in Baltimore
- Benedictine Monks from Oklahoma Move to Ireland's Stamullen Priory
- Benedictine Monks from Oklahoma Become Missionaries to the Irish Church
- Knights of the Holy Eucharist Announce Facebook Page
- Child Casket Fund: Trappist Monks of New Melleray Practice the Corporal Works of Mercy
- Melkite Catholic Church to Ordain Married Men to the Priesthood in the US
- Trappist Monks and Nuns Revive Interest in Monastic Vocations Online
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?