Ancient temple of the goddess Athena
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
4/11/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The Parthenon, an ancient temple in the Athenian Acropolis in Greece, was dedicated to the Greek goddess Athena, whom the people of Athens considered their protector.
The Parthenon, located in Athens, is a temple dedicated to the Greek goddess Athena, who was the patron deity of the ancient city.
ATHENS, GREECE (Catholic Online) - Built in 438 BC, it is the most important surviving building of Classical Greece, generally considered to be the culmination of the development of the Doric order. Its decorative sculptures are considered some of the high points of Greek art.
The Parthenon is regarded as an enduring symbol of Ancient Greece and of Athenian democracy and one of the world's greatest cultural monuments. The Greek Ministry of Culture is currently carrying out a program of selective restoration and reconstruction to ensure the stability of the partially ruined structure.
In the 5th century AD, the Parthenon was converted into a Christian church dedicated to the Virgin Mary. After the Ottoman Turk conquest, it was turned into a mosque in the early 1460s, and it had a minaret built in it.
In 1687, during the Ottoman-Venetian wars, a Turkish ammunition dump inside the building was ignited by Venetian bombardment. The resulting explosion severely damaged the Parthenon and its sculptures.
Several sculptures were recovered in 1806 and sold to the British Museum in London in 1816 where they are now displayed. The Greek government is committed to the return of the sculptures to Greece, so far with no success.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for APRIL 2017
Young People. That young people may respond generously to their vocations and seriously consider offering themselves to God in the priesthood or consecrated life.
by Catholic Online
- Wait, what? Did Pope Francis just buy a private beach? Yes he did, ...
- Daily Readings for Thursday, April 27, 2017
- Has the Trump administration betrayed the Little Sisters of the Poor?
- St. Zita: Saint of the Day for Thursday, April 27, 2017
- Daily Reading for Friday, April 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis surprises with TED Talk appearance and powerful message ...
- The Saint Pio Foundation to Honor Hon. Rick and Karen Santorum and ...
- Day 6 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, April 27th, 2017 HD
- Cherokee Nation sues drug distributors while CDC claims opioid deaths are underreported HD
- Day 5 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.