Jakarta offers exotic sights and sounds for visitors
Indonesia's main city has many things for the tourist
The largest and most important in the sprawling Southeast Asian nation of Indonesia, Jakarta receives millions of visitors annually. Tourist attractions in Jakarta include historical monuments, religious places and entertainment venues. Jakarta is also famous for its glittering nightlife.
At the Puppet Museum in Jakarta, you will be able to enjoy the indigenous Indonesian art form of shadow puppets.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - A popular tourist attraction in Jakarta is the Sunds kelapa, the city's most famous harbor. This historical site served as the port from which Dutch settlers transported their merchandise to neighboring countries such as China, Japan and South India. Fatahilalh is another popular tourist attraction, where the old town hall and former jail, as well as various historical art and artifacts are preserved there.
Religious sites include the Istiqlal Mosque, the largest mosque in Indonesia. This mosque is also used as a center for hosting conferences, seminars and other lectures. The Immanuel Church, with its fine paintings and the baroque architecture is also a must-see on the Jakarta tour. The organ, the most notable feature of the church, dates back to the 17th century. Other spiritual places that should be included on the itinerary are the Black Portuguese Church, Mesjid Jami Angke Al- Anwar, Mesjid Jani Annawir and the Sikh Gurudwara Mission.
Museums are also a popular tourist destination in the city. The Maritime Museum details the nation's rich and colorful past as an international harbor. Among the most unusual museums in Jakarta is the Puppet Museum. At the Puppet Museum, you will be able to enjoy the indigenous Indonesian art form of shadow puppets. The Jakarta Fine Arts Gallery, the Textile Museum, Tamani Prasasti Museum and the Armed Forces Museum have much to offer the adventurous.
Among Jakarta's amusement parks, the Indonesia Miniature Park is among the city's best entertainment venues. For grownups, Jakarta's nightclubs offer a wide variety of music, spirits, entertainment and dancing.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Mont-St-Michel island abbey connected with natural land bridge
- Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire Abbey greets visitors near Orleans in central France
- The Abbey of Fontfroide was onetime center of orthodoxy
- France's Saint Hilaire Abbey contains sarcophagus of Saint Sernin
- Bring binoculars to the St. Matthias Abbey Church to see architectural marvels
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Rome, Vatican & Italy
The Holy See is the episcopal jurisdiction of the Catholic Church in Rome, in which its Bishop is commonly known as the Pope. It is the preeminent episcopal see of the Catholic Church, forming the central government of the Church.
Saint Peter's Square
Saint Peter's Square is located directly in front of St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City, the papal enclave within Rome. The open space which ...
The Coliseum is an elliptical amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy, the largest ever built in the Roman Empire. It is considered one ...
Sistine Chapel is the best-known chapel in the Apostolic Palace, the official residence of the Pope in Vatican City. It is famous for its ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 1/17/2013
The Abbey of St. Foy, nestled in the hills of southern France is a beautiful Romanesque church perfectly aligned with its surroundings. The ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 12/5/2012
Found in the Burgundy Valley, the Abbaye de Fontenay is a well-restored 12th-century Cistercian monastery founded by St. Bernard of Clairvaux. The ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 11/27/2012
Thirty-three-year-old Graham Hughes of Liverpool wanted to travel with his feet firmly planted on the soil. To this end, the eccentric Briton can now ...