United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
Gloria Allred is representing Monica Amestoy, 18, who is victimized on a flight from New York to Los Angeles.
A California teenager is suing United Airlines after she claims the company did nothing to stop the man from performing a sexual act on himself midflight.
Monica Amestoy, 18, is being represented by Gloria Allred. The offense occurred last October and the perpetrator has pled guilty.
After the flight attendant left, Amestoy says the man deliberately exposed himself and resumed his deviant act. After notifying the flight attendant a second time and asking to be moved, she was told that she could not move because there were no available seats in her class.
This essentially left the teenager in an extraordinarily humiliating and uncomfortable position.
Upon landing, Amestoy reported the incident to police and the FBI investigated, but only months later. According to Tom Amestoy, the perpetrator eventually confessed and was ordered to register as a sex offender.
Despite being aware of the issue since October, United Airlines has done virtually nothing to compensate Amestoy or to protect other passengers from such behavior.
The suit filed against the airline accuses them of negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress, and false imprisonment.
Gloria Allred, who is representing Amestoy says the flight crew did nothing to stop the situation or to protect the teen girl. "The flight attendant stated that the perpetrators conduct was disgusting," Allred told the media, "but took no action to relocate Monica to another seat or to report the offensive conduct to the flight deck."
Even worse, when her father Tom Amestoy sent a letter to United complaining about the situation, he received in response a form letter containing a generically worded apology.
"None of us, who especially have daughters, would want our daughters to be in the position that Monica was in during that flight," Allred said.
United simply replied, "the comfort and security of our customers is our top priority and we will closely review this complaint when we receive it."
It's difficult to see that United has any defense in this case, and as customary, the matter will likely be settled out of court.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- Treasure trove of Byzantine artifacts found at Umm al-Rasas
- Taking to the skies? Watch your wallet!
- Cavalaire-sur-Mer, France: Côte d'Azur without the attitude
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Medjugorje & Central Europe
In March 2010, the Holy See announced that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was forming an investigative commission, composed of bishops, theologians, and other experts, under the leadership of Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
St. James Church in Medjugorje
The Apostle St. James the Greater, of whom the church of St. James in Medjugorje was dedicated, is the Patron Saint of Pilgrims. This is just one of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 9/18/2013
The ancient city of Umm al-Rasas in Jordan has yielded a treasure trove of Byzantine artifacts ever since excavations began there in 1986. Much of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 9/12/2013
Flying is by far the most expensive way to travel, and it's not necessarily just the cost of your airplane ticket. Passengers who desire a decent ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 6/24/2013
Cavalaire-sur-Mer in France is a lovely tourist destination that is not that well known but is still beautiful regardless. In fact, it has many ...