Some vacations suggestions for shoestring budgets
Travel to places close to where you live, and you'll save money
Summer is here, and you and your family want to take advantage of the
sunny weather for some quality vacation time. Times are tough, and there
isn't a lot of money for trips and recreation this year - but that
doesn't mean you have to stay housebound. Here are four suggestions to
stretch your vacation dollar.
Instead of shelling out beaucoup bucks for a bells-and-whistles amusement park, try a regular park instead. Try visiting a state or national park for a fraction of the price.
The East Coast features Martha's Vineyard and Virginia Beach to Hilton Head, S.C., and Miami. West Coast beaches include Huntington Beach and several near San Diego. There are also plenty of beaches to choose from along the Gulf Coast as well as in Canada, all well with regional charm and fun attractions.
Secondly, you don't have to fly overseas for fun. Explore the North American continent. Living on the East Coast and thinking about a trip to Las Vegas? Save some money and drive to Atlantic City. Other destinations with casinos include Niagara Falls, Kansas City and New Orleans. If you crave the bright lights of the big city, swap New York City for Los Angeles. For mountains, consider swapping between the Rockies and the Appalachians. You can experience similar scenery without spending as much money.
Tip number three -- Instead of taking a cruise and making several quick stops, visit two destinations for as long as you like and ride the waves while avoiding seasickness. Ferries offer a relatively cheap way to transport you, your family, your luggage and your car from one venue to the next.
Some popular ferries include the Cape May-Lewes Ferry (New Jersey to Delaware), the Rocky-Hill Glastonbury Ferry (Connecticut) and the Columbia River Ferry (Oregon to Washington). Some popular pedestrian only ferries include the Toronto Island Ferry and New Orleans Steamboat Cruise.
Lastly, instead of shelling out beaucoup bucks for a bells-and-whistles amusement park, try a regular park instead. Try visiting a state or national park for a fraction of the price. Some popular national parks include Lake Mead National Recreation Area (Arizona/Nevada), the Everglades (Florida) and the Blue Ridge Parkway (North Carolina/Virginia), which makes for a nice scenic route to several local attractions.
Check the calendars for your city, state or regional parks office to find out what tours and activities are available this summer. Also check to see if advance registration is required to reserve your spots.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Vacation, budget, amusement parks, ferry rides, national perks
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Mont-St-Michel island abbey connected with natural land bridge
- Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire Abbey greets visitors near Orleans in central France
- The Abbey of Fontfroide was onetime center of orthodoxy
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Medjugorje & Central Europe
In March 2010, the Holy See announced that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was forming an investigative commission, composed of bishops, theologians, and other experts, under the leadership of Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
St. James Church in Medjugorje
The Apostle St. James the Greater, of whom the church of St. James in Medjugorje was dedicated, is the Patron Saint of Pilgrims. This is just one of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 6/4/2013
A California teenager is suing United Airlines after she claims the company did nothing to stop the man from performing a sexual act on himself ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 5/28/2013
Amman, the largest city in Jordan, is one electric with all that is new and today. A bustling, cosmopolitan center, Amman also has a rich ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 1/17/2013
The Abbey of St. Foy, nestled in the hills of southern France is a beautiful Romanesque church perfectly aligned with its surroundings. The ...