Ghost Trees of Pescadero Point doomed to extinction
Lovely Gothic trees to be lost to beetle infestation
White and gnarly cypress trees that call to mind ghosts or witches - or Tim Burton movies are found in Pescadero Point. The Ghost Tree, as it is more commonly known will soon truly become ghosts of their former selves. Foresters predict that due to a blight of beetles, much of the cypress and pine in California face destruction over the next 20 years.
It should be stressed that the Ghost Tree is not to be confused with possibly the most photographed tree in the world, the Lone Cypress, which is located a few paces down the road.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - A local legend tells of a particular spooky tree that graces the coastline of swanky Pebble Beach. Supposedly the image of a "Lady in Lace" has often been seen nights near the famed Ghost Tree, terrifying drivers who are said to have seen her walking down the center of the 17 Mile Drive.
One theory suggests that the ghostly figure is Dona Maria, who once owned much of what is now Pebble Beach. As more sightings are made, others continue to speculate about the lady's true identity.
Some people who have seen the Lady in Lace think she is wearing a wedding dress. Her sadness leads people to speculate that she is a jilted bride moping for all eternity. A far less supernatural explanation is that these are optical illusions created by fog and refracted light.
More recently, a legendary surfer drowned near the Ghost Tree while attempting to paddle into the massive waves. The infamous wave and the entire surfing area has now become known as Ghost Tree. When locals catch a good wave there, they often remark, "The Ghost Tree is with us today."
It should be stressed that the Ghost Tree is not to be confused with possibly the most photographed tree in the world, the Lone Cypress, which is located a few paces down the road. The Lone Cypress is mostly made of cement today. Pebble Beach has put up wooden markers to designate which is which and you get a guide book when you enter Pebble Beach that calls out all points of interest.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Pebble beach, Ghost Trees, lady in Lace
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Mont-St-Michel island abbey connected with natural land bridge
- Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire Abbey greets visitors near Orleans in central France
- The Abbey of Fontfroide was onetime center of orthodoxy
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Medjugorje & Central Europe
In March 2010, the Holy See announced that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was forming an investigative commission, composed of bishops, theologians, and other experts, under the leadership of Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
St. James Church in Medjugorje
The Apostle St. James the Greater, of whom the church of St. James in Medjugorje was dedicated, is the Patron Saint of Pilgrims. This is just one of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 6/4/2013
A California teenager is suing United Airlines after she claims the company did nothing to stop the man from performing a sexual act on himself ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 5/28/2013
Amman, the largest city in Jordan, is one electric with all that is new and today. A bustling, cosmopolitan center, Amman also has a rich ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 1/17/2013
The Abbey of St. Foy, nestled in the hills of southern France is a beautiful Romanesque church perfectly aligned with its surroundings. The ...