Church of the Dead offers macabre mummy display
Church is one of the chief tourist attractions in small Italian town
In the lively medieval town of Urbania in central Italy, visitors can pay a visit to a macabre church that holds 18 mummies behind glass. Chiesa dei Morti, or the Church of the Dead, offers a surprising view on the practice of mummification aside from those commonly found in ancient Egypt.
Chiesa dei Morti, or the Church of the Dead, offers a surprising view on the practice of mummification aside from those commonly found in ancient Egypt.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Visitors enter the church through the Baroque doorway. They are then ushered into the chapel, known as the mummy cemetery, a chilling display that has kept people coming back for generations.
The eighteen mummies stand in individual glass cases that have been on display behind the altar since 1833. Naturally mummified due to the presence of a special mold that sucked all of the moisture out of the bodies, these individuals were - and are famous both in and outside the community.
A tour guide tells how each of the mummies passed away. One, which suffered from Down\'s syndrome, died of heart failure; another died while in labor; one was murdered.
The Brotherhood of Good Death, a group founded more than 400 years ago in 1567, is responsible for the mummy display. The original goals of the brothers were to provide free burial for the dead and keep a record of the deaths.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Mummies, church, dead
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Mont-St-Michel island abbey connected with natural land bridge
- Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire Abbey greets visitors near Orleans in central France
- The Abbey of Fontfroide was onetime center of orthodoxy
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Medjugorje & Central Europe
In March 2010, the Holy See announced that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was forming an investigative commission, composed of bishops, theologians, and other experts, under the leadership of Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
St. James Church in Medjugorje
The Apostle St. James the Greater, of whom the church of St. James in Medjugorje was dedicated, is the Patron Saint of Pilgrims. This is just one of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 6/4/2013
A California teenager is suing United Airlines after she claims the company did nothing to stop the man from performing a sexual act on himself ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 5/28/2013
Amman, the largest city in Jordan, is one electric with all that is new and today. A bustling, cosmopolitan center, Amman also has a rich ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 1/17/2013
The Abbey of St. Foy, nestled in the hills of southern France is a beautiful Romanesque church perfectly aligned with its surroundings. The ...