Mission San Juan Capistrano oldest living California structure still in use
Proud mission still standing after series of earthquakes
The sparrows return faithfully to Capistrano, California, every spring, and many of them can be found resting at Mission San Juan Capistrano. The structure stands tall and proud for visitors today, in spite of a series of earthquakes that struck shortly after it was completed in 1806. It is the oldest structure in California still in use today.
The sparrows return faithfully to Capistrano, California, every spring, and many of them can be found resting at Mission San Juan Capistrano. The structure stands tall and proud for visitors today.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The mission was originally consecrated by Father Lasuen on October 19, 1775. Eight short days later, word arrived that a revolt was occurring in San Diego, and that a group of natives had attacked and killed a missionary.
The padres and soldiers buried the bells of San Juan, packed up their things and headed to the fort in San Diego for safety. Father Junipero Serra and other Franciscans returned a year later. The bells were still intact, and so was the cross they had erected at the site. They celebrated mass on All Saints Day, 1776, which is still celebrated as the mission's official day of founding.
In 1796, construction began on a large stone church meant to be the most glorious of all the churches in California. Natives transported stones from a quarry six miles away to build the Great Stone Church, which was constructed in the shape of a cross 180 feet long and 40 feet wide.
At the time of its completion, the tower could be seen for miles. and the bells can be heard from even further away. The church was completed in 1806. However -- six years later, a series of massive earthquakes obliterated the bulk of the church and bell tower. The church had been packed with worshipers, and 42 of the faithful were killed.
Restoration began in the early 20th century. The walls and ceiling were refurbished and strengthened. A beautiful golden altar was installed at the north end. Silent film auteur D.W. Griffith shot the film "The Two Brothers" at San Juan Capistrano, and that movie was the first film ever shot in Orange County. In 1911, silent film star Mary Pickford wed actor Owen Moore in the chapel.
Due to earthquake damage, the World Monuments Fund placed the "Great Stone Church" on its list of 100 Most Endangered sites. Restoration continues and hundreds of thousands of visitors come to the San Juan Capistrano every year.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Mission san Juan Capistrano, California
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Mont-St-Michel island abbey connected with natural land bridge
- Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire Abbey greets visitors near Orleans in central France
- The Abbey of Fontfroide was onetime center of orthodoxy
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Medjugorje & Central Europe
In March 2010, the Holy See announced that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was forming an investigative commission, composed of bishops, theologians, and other experts, under the leadership of Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
St. James Church in Medjugorje
The Apostle St. James the Greater, of whom the church of St. James in Medjugorje was dedicated, is the Patron Saint of Pilgrims. This is just one of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 6/4/2013
A California teenager is suing United Airlines after she claims the company did nothing to stop the man from performing a sexual act on himself ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 5/28/2013
Amman, the largest city in Jordan, is one electric with all that is new and today. A bustling, cosmopolitan center, Amman also has a rich ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 1/17/2013
The Abbey of St. Foy, nestled in the hills of southern France is a beautiful Romanesque church perfectly aligned with its surroundings. The ...