Oceanside offers relaxing beach views near bustling L.A.
Wide, sandy beaches and hip hangouts distinguish town
Seemingto be far away - but exceedingly near the bustle and traffic of downtown Los Angeles, is the cozy beach town of Oceanside, which includes the best of both worlds. There are wide, sandy beaches and the crash of the surf, in addition to hot, hip and trendy places to eat and drink. Anyone in L.A. with access to a car can get away to Oceanside in a matter of minutes.
The jewel of Oceanside is without a doubt the Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort.
LOS ANGELES, Ca (Catholic Online) - Too frequently, people from L.A. bypass Oceanside as they head to San Diego County's flashier resorts: La Jolla, Del Mar and the like. Yet this city has a fun, retro downtown.
The city's redevelopment efforts have been hit or miss and the recession has taken its toll as well.
"For travelers, the sporadic redevelopment is good news. There are still mom-and-pop eateries and funky dive bars to enjoy and, at the same time, recent gentrification has brought new fine dining, drinking and entertainment options to savor. It makes for a good mix," Irene Lechowitzky for the Los Angeles Times writes.
" Oceanside can be a car-free getaway; everything is in walking distance, including the train depot for Amtrak and Metrolink trains from L.A. It's also a great home base for day trips; take the Coaster into San Diego or the Sprinter to Escondido.
Local eaterie the Longboarder Cafe is "a mini shrine to surf culture with murals and surfboards, serves great food. The Longboarder scramble was fine, but the hit was Lou's almond-studded French toast."
The jewel of Oceanside is without a doubt the Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort. "The seven-story, two-tower Mediterranean-style building dominates the waterfront and offers time-share condos as well as hotel rooms. The ocean-view condos have kitchens and are set up for four or more people; because it was just the two of us, we booked a hotel room with a king-size bed," Lechowitzky writes.
"Our sixth-floor, 350-square-foot room was spacious and colorful. The bathroom was large, with a deep whirlpool tub and a glassed-in shower stall. Windows framed views of downtown, the railroad tracks and an empty lot below.
"Ocean views are icing on the cake at the second-floor pool, spa, sun deck and exercise room. Best of all are the seventh-floor 'sky lounges' with comfy sofas and chairs from which to admire the spectacular water and pier vistas."
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Oceanside, resort, Los Angeles, hotels
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Mont-St-Michel island abbey connected with natural land bridge
- Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire Abbey greets visitors near Orleans in central France
- The Abbey of Fontfroide was onetime center of orthodoxy
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Medjugorje & Central Europe
In March 2010, the Holy See announced that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was forming an investigative commission, composed of bishops, theologians, and other experts, under the leadership of Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
St. James Church in Medjugorje
The Apostle St. James the Greater, of whom the church of St. James in Medjugorje was dedicated, is the Patron Saint of Pilgrims. This is just one of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 6/4/2013
A California teenager is suing United Airlines after she claims the company did nothing to stop the man from performing a sexual act on himself ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 5/28/2013
Amman, the largest city in Jordan, is one electric with all that is new and today. A bustling, cosmopolitan center, Amman also has a rich ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 1/17/2013
The Abbey of St. Foy, nestled in the hills of southern France is a beautiful Romanesque church perfectly aligned with its surroundings. The ...