Fiji remains big draw for surfers, scuba divers
Nation made up of more than 300 islands
Fiji, also known as the Fijian Islands is a big draw for tourists who want a tropical paradise for their vacations. Fiji is made up of 332 islands, 110 of which are inhabited, the capital being Suva. Fiji is located two thirds of the way from Hawaii to New Zealand.
Fiji is famous for its welcoming tropical environment, scuba diving and surfing, with numerous surf camps located around the islands.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The two major islands, Viti Levu and Vanua Levu, account for 87% of Fiji's population of almost 850,000. Suva, the nation's capital and biggest city is in Viti Levu.
Fiji is famous for its welcoming tropical environment, scuba diving and surfing, with numerous surf camps located around the islands. It is a favorite destination for weddings, honeymoons, family holidays and relaxing amongst the beaches.
The four major regions to Fiji; the Lomaiviti group, which has a number of large islands along with numerous small ones; the Mamanuca group of islands, best known for surfing and white sandy beaches; the Viti Levu islands, which consists of 300 islands, with over half of Fiji's population lives here; and the Yasawa group is best known for its idyllic sandy beaches and the stunning coral reef, backpacking and accommodation.
Fiji's chief industry is tourism, with many people visiting the Nadi and Denarau islands. Fiji has a significant amount of soft coral reefs, and scuba diving is a common tourist activity. More budget resorts are being opened in remote areas, which will hopefully provide more tourism opportunities.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Mont-St-Michel island abbey connected with natural land bridge
- Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire Abbey greets visitors near Orleans in central France
- The Abbey of Fontfroide was onetime center of orthodoxy
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Medjugorje & Central Europe
In March 2010, the Holy See announced that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was forming an investigative commission, composed of bishops, theologians, and other experts, under the leadership of Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
St. James Church in Medjugorje
The Apostle St. James the Greater, of whom the church of St. James in Medjugorje was dedicated, is the Patron Saint of Pilgrims. This is just one of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 6/4/2013
A California teenager is suing United Airlines after she claims the company did nothing to stop the man from performing a sexual act on himself ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 5/28/2013
Amman, the largest city in Jordan, is one electric with all that is new and today. A bustling, cosmopolitan center, Amman also has a rich ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 1/17/2013
The Abbey of St. Foy, nestled in the hills of southern France is a beautiful Romanesque church perfectly aligned with its surroundings. The ...