Amazon jungle can be as different as night and day
Mighty jungle takes on new persona at night
The Great Green Giant that is known as the Amazon jungle is a lush and mysterious place. What is not widely known is the rolling verdant plains take on totally different personalities in the light of day and the fall of night.
National Geographic correspondent Wade Davis described his encounter with a jaguar in the Amazon. 'Yellow eyes radiant. Fur wet with rain. The perfect image of the transformation shamans seek. The avatar of the wild.'
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) – According to National Geographic correspondent Wade Davis, the Amazon goes into a lull during moments of high, blinding sun.
"The Amazon by day is a place of plants, water, and silence. The overwhelming grandeur of the tropical rain forest lies in its subtlety. There are no herds of ungulates as on the Serengeti Plain, few cascades of orchids. Just a thousand shades of green, an infinitude of shape, form, and texture that mocks the terminology of temperate botany. It is almost as if you could close your eyes and hear the constant hum of biological activity, of evolution, if you will, working in overdrive," Davis says.
"In the air is a fluid heaviness, a weight of centuries, of years without seasons, of life without the rebirth of spring. One can walk for hours yet remain convinced that not a mile has been gained."
The Amazon jungle takes on an entirely different form once the sun sets and the moon begins to climb into the evening sky.
"The air cools. The light becomes amber, and the open sky above the rivers and swamps fills with darting swallows and swifts, kiskadees and flycatchers. The hawks and herons, jacanas and kingfishers of the river margins yield pride of place to flights of cackling parrots, to sun-grebes and nun birds. Toucans and scarlet macaws offer spectacular displays. Squirrel monkeys appear, and from the riverbanks emerge caimans, eyes poking out of the water, tails and bodies as still and dull as driftwood," Davis says.
There is a brief respite at the moment twilight, and "then comes night, and perhaps a downpour. Later the sound of insects rules the trees until, after dawn, once again silence: The air becomes still and mist rises from the cool ground like something solid, all consuming."
Davis relates how he and his companions were lost in the jungle and without sleep, the journey took on the texture of a dream. "One morning, as we followed a faint game trail along a ridge, a jaguar leapt suddenly into our path. Yellow eyes radiant. Fur wet with rain. The perfect image of the transformation shamans seek. The avatar of the wild.
"The cat paused for just an instant and then sprang into the forest. We followed it, and within a day we found our way."
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Mont-St-Michel island abbey connected with natural land bridge
- Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire Abbey greets visitors near Orleans in central France
- The Abbey of Fontfroide was onetime center of orthodoxy
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Medjugorje & Central Europe
In March 2010, the Holy See announced that the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith was forming an investigative commission, composed of bishops, theologians, and other experts, under the leadership of Cardinal Camillo Ruini.
St. James Church in Medjugorje
The Apostle St. James the Greater, of whom the church of St. James in Medjugorje was dedicated, is the Patron Saint of Pilgrims. This is just one of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 6/4/2013
A California teenager is suing United Airlines after she claims the company did nothing to stop the man from performing a sexual act on himself ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 5/28/2013
Amman, the largest city in Jordan, is one electric with all that is new and today. A bustling, cosmopolitan center, Amman also has a rich ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 1/17/2013
The Abbey of St. Foy, nestled in the hills of southern France is a beautiful Romanesque church perfectly aligned with its surroundings. The ...