Denver LE - 49 of 160 bridges have been repaired or replaced
Colorado has repaired or replaced 49 of 160 bridges.
The Eagle River Bridge, as well as other Colorado bridges, started showing its age.
Currently, 49 of 160 bridges have been replaced.
Some of the worst bridges are located in southeast Colorado and built with nothing but timber. Due to the high traffic volume, Denver also has some of the most worn out bridges.
"Some of these bridges are just at the end of their useful life," said Tim Harris, chief engineer of the Colorado Department of Transportation as well as the head of the Colorado Bridge Enterprise. "When you drive over some of them, it's kind of scary."
The Colorado Bridge Enterprise was founded in 2009 as part of the legislation for FASTER or the Funding Advancement for Surface Transportation and Economic Recovery. The organization operates as a government-owned business inside CDOT and plans to repair and/or replace those 160 bridges.
So far, 49 bridges have been replaced, including the Eagle River Bridge, which was built in 1933.
"Look how much we depend on highways," Steve Parker, chairman of the Bridge Enterprise Board. "You can have the nicest, widest highway in the world, but if a bridge is inadequate, you are in a lot of trouble."
© 2012, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: repair, replace, bridges, transportation, necessity
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- The Basilique Ste-Madeleine second only to Notre Dame in size
- Mont-St-Michel island abbey connected with natural land bridge
- Saint-Benoît-sur-Loire Abbey greets visitors near Orleans in central France
- The Abbey of Fontfroide was onetime center of orthodoxy
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Lourdes & France
Lourdes is a small market town lying in the foothills of the Pyrenees, famous for the Marian apparitions of Our Lady of Lourdes that are reported to have occurred in 1858 to Bernadette Soubirous.
History of Lourdes
The pilgrimage of Lourdes is founded on the apparitions of the Blessed Virgin to a poor, fourteen-year-old girl, Bernadette Soubiroux. The first ...
Notre Dame de Paris
Notre Dame de Paris is a Gothic, Catholic cathedral on the eastern half of the Île de la Cité in the fourth arrondissement of Paris, France. It is ...
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes is an area of ground surrounding the shrine (Grotto) to Our Lady of Lourdes in the town of Lourdes, France. This ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 6/4/2013
A California teenager is suing United Airlines after she claims the company did nothing to stop the man from performing a sexual act on himself ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 5/28/2013
Amman, the largest city in Jordan, is one electric with all that is new and today. A bustling, cosmopolitan center, Amman also has a rich ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 1/17/2013
The Abbey of St. Foy, nestled in the hills of southern France is a beautiful Romanesque church perfectly aligned with its surroundings. The ...