Denver LE - 49 of 160 bridges have been repaired or replaced
Colorado has repaired or replaced 49 of 160 bridges.
The Eagle River Bridge, as well as other Colorado bridges, started showing its age.
Some of the worst bridges are located in southeast Colorado and built with nothing but timber. Due to the high traffic volume, Denver also has some of the most worn out bridges.
"Some of these bridges are just at the end of their useful life," said Tim Harris, chief engineer of the Colorado Department of Transportation as well as the head of the Colorado Bridge Enterprise. "When you drive over some of them, it's kind of scary."
The Colorado Bridge Enterprise was founded in 2009 as part of the legislation for FASTER or the Funding Advancement for Surface Transportation and Economic Recovery. The organization operates as a government-owned business inside CDOT and plans to repair and/or replace those 160 bridges.
So far, 49 bridges have been replaced, including the Eagle River Bridge, which was built in 1933.
"Look how much we depend on highways," Steve Parker, chairman of the Bridge Enterprise Board. "You can have the nicest, widest highway in the world, but if a bridge is inadequate, you are in a lot of trouble."
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- Russia's Ring of Fire virtual wonderland of geysers, natural beauty
- Treasure trove of Byzantine artifacts found at Umm al-Rasas
- Taking to the skies? Watch your wallet!
- Cavalaire-sur-Mer, France: Côte d'Azur without the attitude
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Greece (Footsteps of St. Paul)
Modern Greece traces its roots to the civilisation of ancient Greece, generally considered the cradle of Western civilization. It is the birthplace of democracy, Western philosophy, the Olympic Games, Western literature, political science and more.
The Parthenon is a temple in the Athenian Acropolis, Greece, dedicated to the Greek goddess Athena, whom the people of Athens considered their ...
Mount Athos is a mountain on the eponymous peninsula in Macedonia, Greece. The peninsula is called the "Holy Mountain". In Classical times, the ...
Agia Triada Monastery
Agia Triada Monastery is a Greek Orthodox monastery in the Akrotiri peninsula in the Chania Prefecture, Crete, Greece. It also contains a ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 2/18/2014
Russia's Kronotsky area, known as the nation's Ring of Fire, is a natural wonderland that has been off limits for many years, with only ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 9/18/2013
The ancient city of Umm al-Rasas in Jordan has yielded a treasure trove of Byzantine artifacts ever since excavations began there in 1986. Much of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 9/12/2013
Flying is by far the most expensive way to travel, and it's not necessarily just the cost of your airplane ticket. Passengers who desire a decent ...