Treasure trove of Byzantine artifacts found at Umm al-Rasas
Excavations begun in 1986 have yielded priceless mosaics and iron artifacts
The ancient city of Umm al-Rasas in Jordan has yielded a treasure trove of Byzantine artifacts ever since excavations began there in 1986. Much of the ancient city still remains buried under rubble. Visitors to the site today can see a plethora of discovered mosaics and relics of the Iron Age.
Enclosed inside a wall with gates on the north, Umm al-Rasas has more structures spreading outside the walls to the north. Focusing their work on the Byzantine churches, archaeologists have concentrated on four of the 11 walls. In addition to the churches, two oil presses and a winery have been uncovered.
The most noteworthy ruins found thus far are two churches built into the east wall, the Church of the Rivers and the Church of the Palm Tree. Both are named for their mosaics and date from the Sixth century.
Outside the northeast corner of the walls is the Church of the Lions, named for its mosaic of two lions. In the northeastern corner of the site, are the two most famous churches at Umm al-Rasas - the Church of Bishop Sergius and the Church of St. Stephen, sheltered under a green hangar.
Next to its altar of Bishop Sergius' Church, which dates to 587 AD is a rectangular mosaic floor decorated with rams, pomegranate trees, and an inscription dating the mosaics to the time of Bishop Sergius.
The celebrated Church of St. Stephen, from 785 AD has a magnificent mosaic floor throughout the interior. The inscription helped identify Umm ar-Rasas as the ancient city of Kastron Mefaa. Below the inscription are the outlines of donor portraits, which were removed by iconoclasts -- and fruit trees.
Umm ar-Rasas has been inhabited since at least the Iron Age or Seventh Century, as attested by artifacts such as a basalt pillar base and a stone scarab. In ancient times, it was a Moabite town called Kastron Mefaa. The prophet Jeremiah mentioned the city (as "Mephaath") in his condemnation of Moab (Jeremiah 48:21). The 4th-century church historian Eusebius once recorded that a Roman army unit was stationed here.
Two square towers north of Umm al-Rasas were probably used by the stylite hermits, who once flourished in Jordan. These ascetics spent many years living in austerity atop a pillar, often attracting many admirers below. The most famous of these hermits is St. Simeon. The Stylites' church still survives in Syria.
UNESCO notes that these towers are "probably the only remains of the practice."
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Travel News
- Russia's Ring of Fire virtual wonderland of geysers, natural beauty
- Treasure trove of Byzantine artifacts found at Umm al-Rasas
- Taking to the skies? Watch your wallet!
- Cavalaire-sur-Mer, France: Côte d'Azur without the attitude
- United Airlines crew refuses to protect teen girl exposed to sex act
- Lively, modern city of Amman has rich historical past
- Abbey of St. Foy is longtime medieval pilgrimage route
- Austere Abbaye de Fonteny filled only with light
- British man visits all of the world's 201 nations - without flying in a plane
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?
More Fatima & Spain
Our Lady of Fatima is a title given to the Blessed Virgin Mary with respect to reported apparitions of her to three shepherd children at Fatima in Portugal on the 13th day of six consecutive months in 1917, starting on May 13.
Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family
Basilica and Expiatory Church of the Holy Family - Although incomplete, in November 2010 the church was consecrated and proclaimed a minor basilica ...
Apparitions of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Francisco Marto (June 11, 1908–April 4, 1919) and his sister Jacinta Marto (March 11, 1910–February 20, 1920), also known as Blessed Francisco Marto ...
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima is a Roman Catholic Marian basilica in Fátima, Portugal. Its construction began in 1928 and it was consecrated ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 2/18/2014
Russia's Kronotsky area, known as the nation's Ring of Fire, is a natural wonderland that has been off limits for many years, with only ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 9/18/2013
The ancient city of Umm al-Rasas in Jordan has yielded a treasure trove of Byzantine artifacts ever since excavations began there in 1986. Much of ...
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM) • Catholic Online • 9/12/2013
Flying is by far the most expensive way to travel, and it's not necessarily just the cost of your airplane ticket. Passengers who desire a decent ...