NASA releases images of mysterious hexagon on Saturn
Storm has raged for years, possibly centuries.
NASA has released new images of Saturn's north pole. The region is famous for its hexagon-shaped storm which has swirled over the area as long as scientists have viewed the region.
Some of those imaginations have been a bit over-active with conspiracy theorists ascribing the feature to supernatural or extraterrestrial intelligence. However, scientific analysis suggests the feature is entirely natural and explicable by means of fluid dynamics. In fact, scientists have replicated the storm in the lab.
The most recent of the hexagon in false color to highlight details.
Still, the hexagon captures the imagination.
It is larger than the Earth with each side of the pattern stretching for 8,600 miles. The storm rotates under 11 hours and has a powerful vortex in the center which pulls gasses down into the planet's interior. The winds inside the storm blow at hundreds of miles per hour.
Although the storm was first observed by the Voyager mission in 1981, it is likely much older possibly by centuries.
The Cassini space probe continues to loop around Saturn and its moons, and as it continues its mission it also takes images of the hexagon.
Recently, NASA released a color-filtered image of the hexagon.
Enjoy these images of one of the Solar System's most enigmatic objects.
This image shows the hexagon in more natural colors.
Another image of the hexagon by Cassini.
Another false color image of the hexagon. The center is home to a vicious vortex.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?