FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
City would include schools, a hospital, parks and an airport
It's an incredible concept that could have flowed from the pens of such fanciful science-fiction writers such as Jules Verne and H. G. Welles. But now, architects are serious about building a mile-long floating city, capable of sustaining 50,000 permanent residents and host 30,000 visitors and staff.
This drawing shows a cross section of the ship. If built, the whole vessel would be 750ft wide, 350ft tall and 4,500 ft long. This would make it four times longer than the Queen Mary II cruise ship.
Current plans make Freedom City look an awful like a multistory car park. Freedom Ship International (FSI), based in Florida says that Freedom City would cost $10 billion and weigh 2.7 million tons.
Designed by the Florida-based Freedom Ship International, the floating city, concept pictured, is set to cost $10 billion and weigh 2.7 million tonnes - making it too large to ever dock. The ship would spend the whole time at sea, circling the globe once every two years, powered by solar and wave energy.
As stated previously, the monstrous ship would spend the whole time at sea, circling the globe and be powered by solar and wave energy.
Freedom City would 750 feet wide, 4,500 feet long and be 350 feet tall. In addition to the 50,000 permanent residents, the ship would new a crew of 20,000 crew and be able to house 10,000 overnight guests.
Visitors and residents would be able to leave the ship, either by plane or by boat thanks to a dock at the rear, concept pictured, to visit cities and countries where the ship will also pick up supplies as and when needed.
Designers have since released computer-generated photographs which accompany this article of what they hope the mile-long vessel will look like.
The city will be 25 stories tall and feature schools, hospitals, art galleries, shops, parks, an aquarium and a casino. It would even have its own airport on the roof, with a runway serving small private and commercial aircraft carrying up to 40 passengers each.
The Freedom Ship, concept pictured, is a mile long, 25 storeys high and features schools, hospitals, businesses, parks, promenades, an art gallery, a shopping centre, casino and airport on the roof.
"The Freedom Ship will be the largest vessel ever built, and the first ever floating city," Roger M. Gooch, director and vice-president of Florida-based firm Freedom Ship International says.
"This will be a very heavily capitalized project and the global economy in the last few years hasn't been too inviting for unproven progressive projects like ours," he added.
In addition to 50,000 permanent residents, the Freedom Ship would also have room for an extra 30,000 daily visitors, 20,000 crew and 10,000 overnight guests.
"But in the last six months we've been getting more interest in the project and we are hopeful we will raise the $1billion (£600 million) to begin construction." The ship would spend 70 percent of its time anchored off major cities and the rest sailing between countries.
The city would navigate from the east coast of the U.S. across the Atlantic to Europe and into the Mediterranean. Freedom City would then loop back and sail around the Cape of Good Hope at the tip of Africa and across to Australia.
Heading into East Asia, it would steer across the Pacific before spending the end of the year on the west coast of North America. It would chase the summer sun into South America.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?