COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
The Comet of the Century will not be.
In literally breaking news, Comet ISON appears to have broken up. Images from Sun-focused space telescopes show the comet, or has-been comet has turned into a a streak without any visible head.
Last night, ISON reportedly increased dramatically in brightness, then faded after several minutes. This is consistent with the breakup of a comet's nucleus. The latest images show the comet as a streak of dust as opposed to a proper comet with a well-defined head.
Having broken up, Comet ISON will not be visible to observers on Earth, since it has become a streak of dust.
Perihelion is a dangerous time for comets, especially for comets passing so close to the Sun. The gravitational force of the Sun is so powerful that its tidal forces often break apart close-passing (sungrazing) comets as they approach.
That ISON has broken up remains unconfirmed, but the images appear to suggest the comet is done.
The breakup of the comet is not all bad news. Scientists can no use the breakup to study the comet's composition as well as the Sun's outer atmosphere.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Debate between scientists over details of evolution becomes heated
- DRAMATIC DEATH IN SPACE - Astronomers watch as an entire galaxy bleeds to death before their eyes
- Duck and Cover! Asteroid 2014 DX110 will buzz Earth today and you can watch it happen!
- 330-foot long aircraft hailed the largest in the world
- GIBBERISH! More than 100 articles in scientific journals found to balderdash
- New super pill could prolong human longevity
- Vintage cheese - found on the chests of 3,500-year-old mummies!
- Boeing producing 'BLACK' a super-spy phone worthy of James Bond
- Why the Kepler planet discovery changes ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?