Astronomers find a spot that's colder than space itself!
Boomerang Nebula is the coldest place yet known.
Astronomers have identified what they think may be one of the coldest places in the universe. A nebula, 5,000 light years away, harbors temperatures as low as two degrees Fahrenheit above absolute zero.
Warms is often measured by how excited atoms become when exposed to radiation. On Earth, we prefer our atoms to be excited to around 72°F, life having largely evolved around that temperature, give or take.
Yet, deep in space, there is a place even colder than space itself.
Using the Atacama Large Millimeter/submillimeter Array (ALMA) in Chile, (no pun intended) astronomers found a place that was even colder than the comic microwave background radiation, which is a very faint echo of the Big Bang itself. That place is the Boomerang Nebula, where the temperature is a frigid -457.7°F.
The Boomerang Nebula is colder than space itself because it is a region of gas, thrown off by an exploded star. As the molecules of gas expand outward, they cool, which is a basic law of physics. As gasses expand, they cool. This simple phenomenon is what makes the nebula so cold.
It is likely that there are many other nebulas with cold pockets like those in the Boomerang.
This discovery helps scientists to put together precisely how stars blow themselves apart and what happens afterwards. It is reasonable to think that a similar phenomenon occurs following the death of most stars.
This provides astronomers with insight into how our Solar System may have come to be as well. Since our Sun and the planets formed out of a primordial cloud of dust and gas given off by one or more now long-dead stars, knowing what happens when stars die tells us what probably happened before the Earth was created. The knowledge helps us to understand ourselves and our universe just a little bit better.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Micro-spacecraft plans to land on moon in 2015
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?