Pennies from Heaven? How about DIAMONDS?
Scientists theorize that diamond rainfalls could be occurring on planets Jupiter, Saturn
Every time it rains, it rains pennies from heaven, the old song from Depression-era America used to say. According to some scientists, our friends in the solar system Jupiter and Saturn have the planet Earth beat with rainfalls of diamonds. According to researchers, these two planets' atmospheres could be filled with huge chunks of diamonds that could one day be taken back to Earth.
Artwork for the book "Alien Seas" shows robot hands reaching out to capture diamonds and collect them for transport to Earth.
The average diamond could be as much as a centimeter in diameter, but some may grow so large that they could be described as "diamond-bergs," scientists say.
Scientists Mona Delitsky of California Specialty Engineering and Kevin Baines of the University of Wisconsin-Madison conducted the research, who attempted to trace the fate of soot as it sinks downward on both planets.
Both scientists think the diamonds are formed by lightning storms which turn methane into carbon soot. As this carbon falls, it solidifies into pieces of graphite and then is transformed into a diamond.
Baines and Delitsky in their recent book, "Alien Seas," features a chapter entitled "The Seas of Saturn." The chapter describes robot mining ships plying the deep interior of Saturn in the far distant future and collecting chunks of diamonds. The artwork shows robot hands reaching out to capture diamonds and collect them for transport to Earth.
The downfall of all these precious gems is the fact that the diamonds continue to to fall and the extreme pressure and temperature would send the diamonds either shattering or melting away.
It's uncertain what happens to carbon down there, but one possibility the scientists are suggesting is that a "sea" of liquid diamond could form.
Diamonds have long been deemed as stable in the cores of Uranus and Neptune. Jupiter and Saturn were thought to be too hot to have conditions suitable for precipitation of solid diamond.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More Technology News
- Mysterious object blurs the distinction between planets and stars
- Hubble discovery puts us closer than ever to finding alien life - water discovered on 5 planets
- Through the air: The sound of computer keystroke can now be used for spying purposes
- Israeli scientists discover substance that may fend off Alzheimer's, Aging and Parkinson's
- Don't cry for Comet ISON, another stupendous sky show is coming!
- FANTASTIC! Mile-long floating city would house 50,000 permanent residents
- COMET ISON BREAKS UP!
- Where you can watch the death of Comet ISON live as it happens
- Astronomers observe the biggest, and scariest event in the universe since the beginning of time
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?